Friday, September 12, 2008

Celeb Buzz & Worldview

I want to be the first to say that I could care less what people like Kid Rock, George Clooney, Pamela Anderson, Matt Damon or any other "celebrity" thinks about politics or anything else. However, because these people are famous every statement made gets reported.

I don't care because many of the actors in Hollywood are left leaning, abortion promoting, tree hugging, American hating people who treat marriage as if it's an audition, sex as if it's a new exercise regiment, and God as if He if he were Morgan Freeman in "Bruce Almighty". Many of these celebrities left their traditional family roots a long time ago to begin their quest for fame and glory in Hollywood. They learned long ago that they had to be willing to do and say anything to be accepted within their circles. So when Matt Damon compares Sarah Palin's VP bid as a "bad Disney movie" or Pamela Anderson uses a vulgar comment to express her hatred for Mrs. Palin - sure it makes "news" - but WHO CARES!

#1 - I Don't Look to Hollywood to Decide My Values for Me.
I like many of you can appreciate the work an actor does on a film. I can appreciate a great performance, a moving dialogue, etc. But when it comes to personal political/religious/social statements I recognized long ago that my beliefs and Hollywood don't mix.

#2 - I Can Think for Myself.
I often get criticized for my conservative values and beliefs. I often get placed in the Republican camp although I do not consider myself a republican. I'm a believer in Jesus Christ who has very serious views about politics, personal faith, and problems in society. I don't need Brad Pitt to teach me how to dress, Tom Cruise to teach me how to believe, or any other celebrity to give me their take on the issues of the day. I am an individual that God created with a brain that can analyze policies and values on my own. Not only that - but I have the Holy Spirit of God dwelling inside of me that guides me into all truth.

#3 - I Am Not a Celebrity Worshiper.
Once again I will say that I can appreciate the works of an actor/actress, musician, or comedian. But just because some idiot comedian from another country thinks I should vote for Obama for the good of the world or that promise rings for young people are ridiculous, I'm not going to bow down and tow their line. (MTV music awards reference)

To be quite honest (as if I haven't been already) there are many people in the movie and music industry that I have lost a great deal of respect for because of their actions and the words they spew. Many of you have had the same feelings. Consider the fall-out a few years ago when the lead singer of the Dixie Chicks decided to stand on stage in a foreign country and mock our president. Or go back even further when Jane Fonda decided that she needed to have her picture taken with the enemy of our country while our military suffered great losses.

Here's the problem: Actors/Actresses, Musicians, etc. think that they can get away with any and every statement made and the American people will continue to fawn all over them. I say "Enough!" It's time for our young people to once again look into their own family trees, communities, and churches to find their heroes. It's time for the people of this nation to stop idolizing these people (many of whom couldn't hold down a real job) and realize that they are just actors playing on a stage. And for a great majority of them controversial statements mean that they are once again "news."

As I look over my life I cannot think of one celebrity that I wanted to be like. I can't even think of one athlete that I wanted to be. Sure, we all pretended to be somebody when we played those invisible basketball teams, or stood before those pretend crowds and sang but the fact of the matter is I wasn't going to be any of them. I may have worn a "Beat It" jacket and a glove but I wasn't going to be Michael Jackson (and please don't hold that horrible piece of history against me). I can only be me doing whatever God allows me to do. But in the end I do hope that my son will look up to me one day and say "Dad, I hope that I can carry myself in life the way you do." I hope that my daughter will look to me and say, "Daddy - I hope that when I have a husband that he will love me the way you love mom." Why do I say that? Because I don't want my kids to grow up and be like Hannah Montana or one of the Jonas Brothers. I want them to grow up and be who God created them to be in spite of what Hollywood or anyone else tells them.

My reasoning for today's blog is simple: I'm tired of the celebrity and Hollywood culture's influence on this country. We have heard so many attacks on our nation and our leaders of the last 30+ years of my life that it's getting insane. Not only that, but I just read an article today about a young female (I cannot use the words woman or lady because it doesn't fit) who graduated from Sacramento State that wants to auction off her virginity to help pay off student loans. America's worship of the celebrities of this world is crippling the values of our nation and I'm sick of it. We need to understand that our choices have consequences once again. This 22 year old may be able to pay off her student loans but she will never be able to regain her innocence. We cannot hit the rewind button in life and do it all over. However, God does have a "delete" button when it comes to our sin and it's called forgiveness through Jesus Christ.

1 comment:

Launch International said...

Perhaps all of the silicone has gone to Pam Anderson's head and she's unable to think clearly! I doubt if she even remembers what thinking clearly is to be honest. To Hollywood, I too say, "WHO CARES!"