Friday, March 14, 2008

What I Want to Be



"I want to be a police officer!"

"I want to be a dentist!"

"I want to be a teacher!"

"I want to be a race car driver!"

"I want to be a veterinarian!"

I remember those days don't you? Someone would ask us what we wanted to be when we grow up and we would share our biggest dreams. It's all a part of being a kid.

I was dropping my kids off at school today, listening to some Switchfoot - "This is Your Life", and started thinking hard about the question in the song, "Are you who you wanna be?" I would love to hear the statistics that share the percentage of Americans today who are working in a career that they did not study or train for. In other words - how many doctors are doing something else with their lives? Or better yet, how many Americans went to school for a particular degree and came out with a different one. I know that I'm one of them. I went to school for Sports Medicine. I was very passionate about sports but just not good enough to go to the next level. So I figured that if I couldn't play college or pro ball that I would get paid to sit on the bench as a trainer. However, God had different ideas, and after my first year of college called me to preach. That summer I changed schools, changed career choices, and changed my future.

This morning has me wondering how many of our kids are saying, "I want to be a preacher when I grow up", or "I want to be a missionary"? I don't think we hear it as often as we used too. I remember professors who shared about a calling at the age of 8, or classmates in Bible College who would share about a calling at the age of 12. The point I'm trying to make is that we don't seem to hear stories like that quite as often. I wonder why? Are we making the ministry of the gospel that unattractive or does it simply show us the attitude of our culture toward Christianity? I wonder how many parents (even those in the church) pray that their kids will enter into some kind of ministry?

I must say that I know of no greater fulfillment than to live in the calling which God has given me. I pray for my kids daily that they will serve the Lord, share the gospel, and draw closer to God. And I also pray that God would lead both of them into some type of ministry. Why? Because I want my kids the know the joy of serving the Lord with their lives. I remember when my son was just a baby and I would place both feet in my hands and pray over him or bless him with beautiful feet. I'm sure that sounds crazy but scripture says, "How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the gospel of peace..." Rom. 10:15.

Here's what I think: Raise your kids to live by Matt. 6:33 and the rest will take care of itself. Teach your children that honoring the Lord with their lives is the greatest thing they could ever do. They can honor him as doctors, lawyers, cowboys, trash collectors, or bankers. You just have to show them the way. "Seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all of these things shall be added to you." It's not about what I want to be but rather what He wants me to be.

God bless.

No comments: