Wednesday, March 26, 2008

There's Only One Way

Ray Comfort has been one of the most influential people in my life when it comes to sharing the gospel. It hasn't been that long since I was challenged with the message "Hell's Best Kept Secret". To be honest with you - the first time I heard Ray - I thought it was legalistic. But that was my mindset at the time. I'm so thankful that I listened to it again, and found Ray to be right on with his understanding concerning the failure of modern evangelism.

I have been a little under the weather, so I'm not sleeping all that well. I woke up early this morning, started some coffee, turned on the tube, and caught the last few minutes of "The Way of the Master" - an episode I had seen before. Once again I was amazed at the power of God's Word, the convicting work of the Holy Spirit, and the hardness of man's heart. I watched as the gospel broke through the self righteousness of the individual Ray was sharing with and was reminded, once again, of how easy it is to share the gospel.

I'm really not sure where we got the idea that sharing the gospel was hard. I guess it's the fear factor. We are afraid of being rejected. We are afraid of hurting relationships. Maybe that's why it seems so hard. But ask yourself this question: "Would I rather take the chance of hurting a relationship here if it means that someone won't spend an eternity in hell?"

What I love about Ray's approach in sharing the gospel is that God does all the work. This is the part of sharing that we have forgotten. Salvation is the work of God from start to finish. And the use of the 10 commandments exposes man's self righteousness and his need for a Savior.
Let's take a look:
Have you ever told a lie? What does that make you? A liar
Have you ever stolen something? What does that make you? A theif
Have you ever used God's name in vain? That's blasphemy
Have you ever looked at someone with lust? Jesus said it's the same as committing adultery in your heart.

And we have only looked at 4 of the commandments. If we take a closer look how many of us can say that we have never dishonored our parents, ignored the Sabbath, murdered someone in our heart through hatred, coveted the possessions of someone else, worshipped something else other than God, or made God into our own image instead of believing that He is as the Bible portrays Him to be?

The point is that all of us are guilty of breaking God's law. The only hope that we have of obtaining forgiveness is by someone paying the penalty for our sins. Friends, that's exactly what God did in sending Jesus to this earth. He was a perfect sinless sacrifice for the sins of the world. When we come to God, turn from our sins, and trust Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior - God will forgive us and give us a right standing with Himself.

Notice that none of this is because of anything we have done. It's all been done by God because He wants to restore us to a relationship with Himself. Let me ask you a question: How have you come to God? Did you come to God presenting all of the things you have done that are "good"? Did you come to God and say, "See all I have done to show you that I want to follow?" Or have you simply trusted in Jesus Christ to save you? I want you to know that church membership does not save you, baptism does not save you, giving to the needy does not save you. Only faith in Christ will give you eternal life.

Romans 6:23, "For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord."

Below you will find a link to the Living Waters website. It's an article titled "Save Yourself Some Pain." I encourage you to check it out. (You will have to copy and paste)

http://www.livingwaters.com/articles_growth.shtml

No comments: