Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Sharing the Blessing

When reading the Bible we come across some very interesting personalities. One of my favorites is Joshua. Many of us know that Joshua was the lucky candidate who had the distinct privilege of leading the children of Israel after Moses' death.

I can only imagine what Joshua what must have felt the day the Lord chose him. Fear, intimidation, doubt, etc. Why? Because Moses seemed to have it all. He clearly heard the voice of the Lord, he had the attention of everyone, and God had used him in mighty ways. I'm sure that Joshua spent many days thanking the Lord for His promises of strength, courage, and faithfulness during the transition of leadership. Over and over again God reassured him that He would be with him - to not fear - to not lose heart - to remain faithful.

Upon further reflection in Joshua's life I can see why God chose him. He was a strong supporter of Moses. He often followed Moses into the tabernacle and sometimes stayed in the presence of the Lord after Moses had left. He was a man of character, devotion, and discipline. And now it's his turn.

As I was reading through the book of Joshua I came across some interesting verses in Chapter 10. It's in this chapter that we read about the sun standing still at Joshua's request so that they would be able to have enough light to defeat the Amorites. In verse 14 we read that "there has been no day like that, before it or after it, that the Lord heeded the voice of a man..." WOW! If there was ever a clear validation of Joshua's calling and character this was it. But as you read a little further you are going to see and hear something very interesting. The Amorite kings were held up in a cave that had been sealed off by Israel. And when the time came for their execution Joshua called upon the men of Israel and the captains of the men of war. He told them in verse 24, "put your feet on the necks of the kings."

What I love about this portion of scripture is that it portrays to us the importance of sharing the blessings of God with those around us. Joshua could have taken all the glory and honor of that victory. Instead, he chose to share it with the men who had been in the trenches. He could have boasted of how the Lord heeded his voice and the victory was his. But rather than relish in "his" victory, he allowed others to be blessed.

Could it be that he was giving them what Moses didn't? Could it be that Joshua understood the importance of raising up another generation of leaders who would know first hand what the Lord's victory felt like? I ask these questions because what I received from all of this was a profound move in my spirit. The insight given to me was allowing others to share in the blessing.

We are too selfish at times. Sure, there is nothing wrong with wanting God's best for our lives but what about those who are fighting alongside us? What about those who are giving their lives for the Lord's battle? Should they not enjoy the same blessing as we do? Should we not allow them to be blessed and that be enough blessing for us? Listen to the important lesson that Joshua shares with these men: "Do not be afraid, nor be dismayed; be strong and of good courage, for thus the Lord will do to all your enemies against whom you fight." v. 25.

I want you to take note of this. I want you to understand the importance of using every victory to encourage those around you. I want those who fight with me to know how it feels to have the enemy under their feet. I want them to come through the struggle with the experience of God's provision. And in the end I want them to know that this is the norm, that is, that God will do this for them just as he did this day. Can you imagine the joy of those captains in placing their feet upon the necks of the enemy? Can you imagine the courage and reassurance they received?

I have been so blessed in my life. However, if I don't take the time to share it with others what good has it done? If I do not share the blessings of God with others then they will never know the victory of the Lord. Salvation is not just an experience for me but the path of deliverance for them. Healing is not just something for me but a path of restoration for them. The work of the Holy Spirit in my life is not just a blessing for me but a path of instruction and freedom for them. I must share the blessings of God with those around me so that they can know that the Lord will work in their lives as well. The Lord can save them, heal them, and give them fresh fire as well.

Take some time today to share the blessings of the Lord with others. If you are saved then share salvation. If you have been healed then share healing. If you have been strengthened with might by His Spirit in your inner man then strengthen somebody today. Become a conduit of grace today. Share the blessings of God with those around you. Who know? God may use you to help someone put their feet on the neck of the enemy today!

No comments: