Friday, February 19, 2016

What Will We Hear?

Often, in the Gospels, we hear the words of Jesus: "Anyone who has ears to hear..." I've always found this fascinating. It seems to give off the idea that we can listen to someone but not actually hear them. Hear their heart. Hear the true meaning behind something. Which makes perfect sense considering that many people in Jesus' day didn't actually hear Him.

I'm sure we've all been there. Struggling to believe and/or accept what we are hearing. Questioning whether or not a thought, idea, statement is from God. Then there are those who always talk about things as if God tells them everything. "The Lord told me...." is one of their favorite phrases. He seems to give them advice about everything from where to go to church, what to say in a conversation, to what kind of toothpaste to buy. I'm not doubting their experience. I've just seen how statements like this can be used to manipulate, control, or give off the perception of heightened spirituality. I have no doubt that some have wondered that about some of my statements. While there may have been only a couple of times that I have heard something so clear that it seemed the voice was audible, the reality of my experience is that the Lord tends to speak to my heart.

What I don't want to happen is to create a culture that questions the Lord's ability to speak to us. I honestly believe that He speaks much more than what we actually hear. That our God is a God who loves to communicate with us. Using various methods and means. Speaking through the Bible, the Church, Other people, and the list goes on. In fact, I believe that our Heavenly Father can use just about anything to speak to us. It's the beauty of relationship. He knows that we are sensitive to certain things. His Holy Spirit can move in and through anything or anyone. The question will always be: Do we have ears to hear?

Pay close attention to the lyrics that I'm going to post. I wonder what you will hear.

"Every night I say a prayer in the hope that there's a heaven
But every day I'm more confused as the saints turn into sinners
All the heroes and legends I knew as a child have fallen to idols of clay
And I feel this empty place inside, so afraid that I've lost my faith

Show me the way, show me the way
Take me tonight to the river
And wash my illusions away
Please, show me the way

And as I slowly drift to sleep, for a moment dreams are sacred
I close my eyes and know there's peace in a world so filled with hatred
Then I wake up each morning and turn on the news to find we've so far to go
And I keep on hoping for a sign, so afraid I just won't know

Show me the way, show me the way
Bring me tonight to the mountain
And take my confusion away
And show me the way

And if I see your light, should I believe
Tell me how will I know

Show me the way, show me the way
Take me tonight to the river
And wash my illusions away

Show me the way, show me the way
Give me the strength and the courage
To believe that I'll get there someday
And please show me the way

Every night I say a prayer in the hopes that there's a heaven...
"

These lyrics are from a very popular song that was released in the 90's by the group Styx. I may have talked about this song in the past, but I didn't take the time to go through the archives. The interesting thing about songs is that they tend to take on a life of their own. There is the intention of the writer. Then there is the video interpretation. What tends to follow is how the song is then applied to various things.

This song is no different. I have heard and even conveyed different elements surrounding this song. When it was released our nation was involved in the first Gulf War. The song seemed to identify closely with the emotions of the time. Some have even written that the song was linked to one of the personal struggles of a band member who was struggling with homosexuality. Most references point to the fact that Dennis DeYoung was a devout Catholic, and that he wrote this song for his son. A young man who was struggling with faith in "a world so filled with hatred." Regardless of what we take away from all of these interpretations, the reality is that the Lord continues to speak through the integrity of the song. How many of us have asked some of these questions? How many of us have tried to find meaning in the midst of turmoil?

What's my point?
I remember when this song was released. I immediately felt the significance of these lyrics. Over the years my appreciation of the song has grown. And the one thing that the Lord continues to speak to me about through this song has to do with with those first few lines. Where the writer talks about saints turning into sinners, and heroes/legends falling to idols of clay. It clearly communicates the struggle that many people go through when there are so many who fall publicly. How difficult it is for people to grasp the reality of the Gospel when those they believed in seem to fall by the wayside. And yet in the midst of these questions, I hear a man's heart. I feel his sincerity. I know it is the Lord crying out through him.

The point is that if you had never heard this song, and you didn't know who wrote it, that you may have believed it was some kind of religious song. Demonstrating that the Lord can speak through anyone, through any medium, and any time that He chooses. Will we hear Him?

Read through the stories in the Bible and you discover that our faith history is filled with people who heard the Lord and followed.
Noah heard God and began the work of building an ark...
Abraham heard God and left his home in search of a city...
Moses heard God and returned to Egypt to deliver his people...
Joshua heard God and circled a city for seven days...
The list goes on and on.
The truth is, according to what Paul says about the Gospel in Romans, that each of us who have come to believe in Jesus did so because we heard from the Lord. "Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the Word of God." We may not have realized it at the time, but our response to the Gospel message came not because of the effectiveness of the preacher but because of the effectiveness of God's voice. The Lord has said that His Word will not return to Him void. It will accomplish what He has sent it out to do. Will we hear Him?

Over the course of the next few days I just want you to tune your ears to Him. Simply say to the Lord that you are willing to hear what He has to say. And as you go throughout your day stay sensitive to every situation, conversation, and opportunity. I believe you will be amazed at how your time in the Bible comes to life. How prayer becomes a time of true intimacy. How easily you hear the Lord through a child. How often you see Him at work around you.

As I close, allow me to share the words of a 5 year old. These are the words of one of the children of our youth pastor. If I didn't tell you all of those facts you would walk away from these words believing they came through a seasoned veteran. Will we have ears to hear?

"When the world comes together, we can feel Him in our hearts.
His heart looks like mine. His heart looks like mine.
When the world loves one another, I can feel Him even more.
I feel Him all around. I see Him in everyone.
"

No comments: