Friday, February 26, 2016

Applying Wisdom

Over the past few weeks I have received a lot of encouragement from the book of Proverbs in the Old Testament. These writings have always been a favorite of mine. Simple wisdom, when applied, can create an incredible life.

Most of us know the story. Solomon was told that he could ask the Lord for anything. He chose wisdom. Not only did God answer in this area, but in all others as well. The writing of this wise King found their way into the Scriptures of the Hebrew people. Proverbs, like many ancient proverbs, have become a way to share wisdom down through the ages in a very simplistic way. Much of these writings were meant for the sons of Solomon, but I am glad that we can glean from them today.

Proverbs 15:32 really stuck out to me today: "He who neglects discipline despises himself, but he who listens to reproof acquires understanding." While this ancient proverb speaks to the need for all of us to be open to instruction and correction, the first part of this statement is what really got my attention. To neglect discipline is to despise yourself.

I'm going to look at this verse just a little differently. I began to think about all the times in my life when I failed to discipline myself. Areas of physical well being. Relationships. Finances. Spirituality. Each of these areas, along with many others, at one time or another have been left to chance. Just hoping that things would come together. Allowed to sit idly while I pursued other interests. While I believed that I was getting what I wanted, the truth is that I showed how disinterested I was in helping myself.

That's the thing. We all say we want the best in every area of life. The question that I ask is: How disciplined are we in these areas?
Why is it that most New Year's resolutions are never carried out?
Why do people give up on certain endeavors?
Why do so many marriages struggle?
Why does it take so long to become financially secure?
You can add it another question if you like. But what I have discovered (at least in my own life) is that I have failed to discipline myself in these areas. Instead of being intentional in these areas, I just followed suit. Never allowing the grace of God to make a difference.

Another thing that I have discovered is that it takes much more discipline to live by grace. That statement may sound odd to you, but let me explain. We tend to opt for the rules. We look for steps to follow. Clear outlines from others who have gone before. We will take a formula from someone else before we will ever look into it for ourselves. When that list of do's and don'ts doesn't work, we move on to other things. When the formula doesn't produce, we give up. What we fail to understand is that life isn't lived in a well thought out structure. It's lived in the moment. Which means we have to have something built into the core of our being to make life all that it is meant to be.

Grace is a powerful thing. It allows us to live in the power of God. We are never left to ourselves in any decision or action. While Scripture declares that the Father has given us EVERYTHING we need for life and godliness, rarely do we investigate the claim. Even more rare is the person who has discovered the grace of God to live it out.

I have to discipline myself to live in grace. It seems that I'm programmed at times to simply take action. Do the best that I can. Like a computer that is operating on the wrong program, I may be taking in data and figuring out the equation but I'm way off track. The grace of God is hard-wired to the Creator. He knows exactly what we need to do in each and every situation. He wants us to learn what it means to live with His ability. No longer am I stuck to some form of religion. No longer is living in the law enough. I desperately want His heart to come through in each and every decision.

Do I fail? Of course! But it is the grace of God that allows me to pick myself up and start all over.
Do I get it wrong? Just as surely as I am typing these words. But I discover something within that won't allow me to wallow in self-pity.
The grace of God keeps me moving forward. Keeps me looking to Him. Keeps me motivated to see the life of Christ formed in me. My only part in this is to discipline myself to live in grace. To not allow the hooks of empty religion to get a grip in me. I choose to do life by His enabling. Trusting His Spirit to do that which He was sent to do - to guide me in all truth.

For the longest time I believe that I just needed to try harder. I would immerse myself in all the things that religion said I needed to do. With little to no change. Because I was so used to this way of life, I thought that I was the problem. That I would never be able to make up the ground that I had lost. I was disciplined but it was all in the wrong areas. I was disciplined in my actions, but not in my thinking.

When I discovered the grace of God that was available, and disciplined my mind to think there first - true and lasting change began to take place. Things that used to be issues began to fall away. Areas of weakness became places of strength. Living in the love of Christ began to be something that I experience rather than longed to be true. All because I was learning what it meant to grow in the grace of God.

Do you despise yourself? Then ignore what I am saying. Don't listen to my instruction. However, if you really want to the best for your life and relationships please listen to my encouragement. The grace of God is what you are looking for. It is the change you need. Discipline yourself here. Renew your mind. Be transformed by the power of God. You will never be sorry.

No comments: