Thursday, February 25, 2016

Jesus - Our Vision

After some wonderful dialogue with an incredible group of believers, I'm coming to understand that many of us have the same thoughts and feelings concerning the church. We want authenticity, simplicity, and relationship. The questions that we tend to ask revolve around the things that seem to take away from this most basic expression of faith.

Have you ever wondered what church would look like if we stripped away the unnecessary things? Killed all of the sacred cows? Really took the time to hear the Lord's heart on the matter? I've often wonder what would be left. How drastically our "services" would change. How different the whole experience would be. But then I realize that it's really okay. If we stripped it all away and started from scratch we would discover the greatest foundational truth of all: Jesus would still be among us.

As I have contemplated this whole scenario over and over again in my mind, it creates a longing in me that I cannot explain. The pastor would no longer be the main attraction. Worship would not have to be a certain style or length. Fellowship among one another would be commonplace. Hearing and sharing from the Lord would come naturally. We would recapture the beauty of the early church. Jesus - the summation of all things - firmly established as the Head of the body.

There's no doubt in my mind that some would think it ludicrous to ignore so many years of church history. However, I ask this question: Which church history are we honoring? Is it more important to simply go with the flow of Western Christianity? Are we simply carrying the torch of Protestant worship services? Is it so vital to church life that we continue to maintain things (though not bad in themselves) that are not necessarily biblical?
*Who said a worship service had to be an hour long?
*Who determined to start with announcements, sing songs, preach a sermon, and give an invitation?
*Who decides what is church and not church when it comes to how we gather together?
*When was the pulpit placed in the center of the building? On a stage?

I could go on, but I think you see my point. We have grown so accustomed to these things, and this way of doing things, that we even read our Bibles with this mental picture. Thinking that Paul was preaching/teaching in the same manner as us. Missing out on the reality of authentic community that the early church possessed.

I'm not saying that it all has to change. I'm simply proposing some thoughts. What if Jesus was our vision? What if He was the center of attention (not theoretically but in actuality)? What if the thought on Sunday morning wasn't about receiving a message but encountering the risen Lord?

As I gave way to all of these thoughts, I was reminded of an old hymn. May these words stir within each of us the beauty of the relationship we possess with the Lord. May they propel us forward in how we approach this thing called church.

Be Thou My Vision

Be Thou my Vision, O Lord of my heart;
Naught be all else to me, save that Thou art;
Thou my best Thought, by day or by night,
Waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light.

Be Thou my Wisdom, and Thou my true Word;
I ever with Thee and Thou with me, Lord;
Thou my great Father, I Thy true son;
Thou in me dwelling, and I with Thee one.

Be Thou my battle Shield, Sword for the fight;
Be Thou my Dignity, Thou my Delight;
Thou my soul’s Shelter, Thou my high Tow’r:
Raise Thou me heav’nward, O Pow’r of my pow’r.

Riches I heed not, nor man’s empty praise,
Thou mine Inheritance, now and always:
Thou and Thou only, first in my heart,
High King of Heaven, my Treasure Thou art.

High King of Heaven, my victory won,
May I reach Heaven’s joys, O bright Heav’n’s Sun!
Heart of my own heart, whate’er befall,
Still be my Vision, O Ruler of all.

No comments: