Thursday, February 18, 2016

Do You Resort To...

Happy Thursday! I apologize for being away from the blog for so long. Rather than offer up excuses, I will just get to the post. Great to have you with me.

Last night we were having a conversation about prayer. It was during this discussion that I was reminded how often we resort to formulas, methods, outlines, steps, superstition, and maybe even a little bit of magic to get what we want. This is especially true when we have been praying for something over an extended period of time. We check our lists, look back over our steps, etc. Trying to find where we may have missed it. All the while, not realizing that we have replaced relationship with ritual. Have you ever considered that we treat pray like a magic incantation?

In Matthew 6, we find that Jesus had a lot to say about prayer. He told His disciples what NOT to do, and then proceeded to teach them a proper way to pray.
DON'T BE LIKE THE HYPOCRITES - who love to stand in the synagogue or on the street corner praying loud prayers...
DON'T BE LIKE THE GENTILES - who think they will be heard for their many words (their vain repetitions)...
Instead, when you pray, pray in this manner: "Our Father in heaven..."
Jesus wasn't introducing a method. It's my opinion that He was introducing a relationship. That's right! Prayer is a relationship with your Heavenly Father. It's not a means to an end. It's not a magic formula. And it's definitely not a superstitious gesture. Pray is conversation with God where we communicate our desires and His. Where we enter into an intimate encounter.

I find it so interesting that Jesus treats prayer much different than we do. He says things like: "I know that my Father hears me..." While we say things like: "I wonder if I'm doing this right?"

This doesn't happen in prayer only. We often find ourselves treating other aspects of our faith the same way.
Giving
Worship
Bible Reading
Fasting
And the list goes on.
We continually place ourselves in these situations where we believe God has to get something out of us before He will do anything. Making Him the manipulator. OR...we become the manipulators, thinking we can do something to force God to act on our behalf. This, my friend, is the work of religion in our lives. Not relationship.

As I continued to think about this travesty of faith, I realized how often I have done these things. Every time I reduce my faith to a 12 Step Program. Every moment I spend jumping through the hoops. Every incident of half-hearted devotion to ritual/tradition. I prove myself to be the manipulator - NOT GOD. It's not my Heavenly Father that's demanding - IT'S ME.

God cannot be manipulated. Most of us will agree to this. Yet we continue to hear sermons and read books that assure us of how we can get our prayers answered. We act as though there is just one way to do this thing right. Please hear me out. I'm not against published prayers. I'm not against reciting the "Lord's Prayer." What I am against is not being yourself in prayer, and not sharing from you heart. God has designed each of us uniquely. He knows how we interact with Him. We are encouraged to come "boldly to the throne of grace." And yet so many people act like prayer is a roll of the dice.

In the midst of all of this. Prayer, Bible Reading, Fasting, Giving, Worship, & the rest. Jesus is saying, "Come to me..." He knows how quickly we can turn something as simply as prayer into a formula. He knows that we can get caught up in tradition and ritual. He knows all too well how our structures get in the way, drag us down, and miss out on the beauty of relationship. Being gracious, He comes to us while we are reciting our magic formulas - not because the formula worked - because He sees our hearts. He says, "Neal, in Me you can put those things to rest."

Don't be so quick to abandon relationship. Our Heavenly Father knows what we need before we even ask. There's no need to fall into some sort of methodology. He knows our heart in other areas as well. He doesn't need to be manipulated. Remember the words of Jesus: "If you being evil know how to give good gifts to your children. How much more will your Heavenly Father give to those who ask."

Enjoy the Journey!!!

No comments: