Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Faith IS My Assurance

Hebrews 11:1, "Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen."

My blog entry today will be brief. I did something yesterday that I have not done in about 8 years. I went to the Doctor. 2 shots and 3 prescriptions later I am on the mend from a slight touch of bronchitis and a sinus infection. What does this have to do with faith? Stay with me and maybe you will find your answer.

Over the last few years I have lived with the belief that our healing is found in the atonement. I have blogged about this subject several times. What that means is that the suffering of Christ accomplished much more than our salvation. I believe that God wants us to be whole physically, mentally, and emotionally. I believe He is about the whole person: body, mind, and spirit. Sozo - the Greek word translated saved - tells us that we are saved, healed, delivered, and made whole.

During this faith journey I have had many challenges. I have talked to people on both sides of the debate. However, the one thing that I continually come back to is believing in the nature of God. One of the ways the Lord revealed Himself to us in Scripture is Jehovah-Rapha (The Lord Who Heals). I have not found Him to be the Lord who brings sickness. I don't see anywhere in the Bible where God decided to change His name or His nature. In fact, when Jesus arrives as the exact representation of the Father, we find that He carries this same nature. All who came to Him that were sick, He made whole.

So...here I am on day 2 of an antibiotic and still sore from my shots. I have not questioned God in the midst of it and I will still approach every day of my existence believing in the Healing that He purchased. Some would argue "BUT...you are sick." My response would be "Yes, but that doesn't change what God has done. It also doesn't change what I believe."

Hebrews 11:1 is a favorite verse for many people. It helps stir up hope. I am learning to use it another way. I'm learning how to fuel my hope through my faith. When you do a word study of this incredible verse you will discover that faith is not empty. Faith is a substance. It is concrete. It is the firm belief in something. What I have chosen to believe in regards to healing and health is that it is firmly rooted in the atonement. The questions I have about any sickness that I endure has nothing to do with the power of the atonement but rather how I got into the shape that I'm in. There's a lot of reasons that I could be sick - faith or lack thereof is not the reason.

Faith is a journey. It's a journey where I refuse to believe that we ever solve the mysteries of God. While there is much that we have learned, there is so much more to understand. There are greater experiences to be had. The life and ministry of Jesus have demonstrated incredible possibilities to us. Life and faith take on a whole new meaning. It shows us what is and what can be available if we have faith.

Allow me to encourage you. I don't know where you are in your faith journey. I have no idea of what you may be struggling through at this moment. My encouragement would be this: Return to the simplicity of your faith. You know, the place where you didn't need an answer - the place where you didn't need Him to map it all out. Just a simple abiding faith. A faith that stirs up the hope that is in you. In the end, I believe that you will learn to be amazed all over again. JUST BELIEVE!

Hebrews 11:6, "...whoever would draw near to God must believe that He exists and that He rewards those who seek Him."

No comments: