Friday, February 6, 2009

What if YOU were Published?


Job 19:23, "Oh, that my words were written! Oh, that they were inscribed in a book!"

Interesting words considering that they were written and that Job's words were inscribed in a book. God, in His providence, decided that Job's story was worth telling. Have you ever thought, "What if MY LIFE was published?"

If you were published would you ask that certain parts of your story were deleted? Are there things in your life that you wouldn't want to share? There is no doubt in my mind that each of us have certain periods of life that we would love to erase...conversations that shouldn't have happened...attitudes that need to be changed...actions that we would love to keep in the dark. The truth is that each of our lives tell a story whether or not someone chooses to write it down. Yes, our lives are being etched into the minds and memories of those around us.

You may have heard someone say that our life here on earth is just a rehearsal. This phrase usually comes from someone who believes in life after death (eternal life in heaven). If you and I take that same mindset then it's clear that we sure would like some do-overs. Could I redo Act 13 scene 75? How about Act 17 scene 93? At every stage of life I have had many mistakes and would love to redo those scenes and erase from my memory (as well as those involved) all the bad I have done. However, we know that life doesn't allow us to erase, cut and paste. We are forced to live with our consequences and cannot alter what has already taken place.

The only thing you and I CAN do is to ensure that the ending is right. God, in His mercy, has afforded us the opportunity to be forgiven of all the wrong we have done. It may not erase such scenes from our memory but as far as God is concerned those things never happened. In His grace He has promised that though our sins be as scarlet they shall be white as snow. God is the only one with the delete button. And when He deletes our sin there is no rummaging around in the recycle bin - with God it's gone forever.

Maybe if we understood the whole picture...that our life is being published for those around us, then maybe we would live differently. Maybe we would find a way to show love instead of frustration. Maybe our children would experience a different home life, our parents experience a grateful child, our friends a more controlled individual, or our spouses true and unconditional love. We shouldn't wait for our funerals or once our life has passed and hope that the words of friends and the preacher will be enough. NO...now is the time to life as though people are watching. And hopefully in the end they will see a person who lived with an uncompromising love for God and an unconditional love for those around.

Job's life and words were written for our understanding. And though we may never be placed in a book we know that all things are recorded. The Bible says that every idle word a man speaks that he will give an account for it on the day of judgement. Can you imagine what the playback will sound like? What shame will I feel? What pain will I experience? I thank God that today I stand forgiven for all I have done. What would my life look like if it weren't for the cross? Just imagine if Jesus had not come and died for our sin. That's a life that I'm glad I will never know.

Take some time today and thank God that your life story has been altered by the cross. If you have never accepted Jesus as your Lord and Savior - today is the day of salvation. Don't allow another day of your life to be recorded without His forgiveness and the power of His Spirit to direct in all you say and do. At least in the end people can say, "He wasn't perfect, but what God has done in his life is remarkable."

In the words of Paul, "...God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ..." Galatians 6:14.

2 comments:

Chris said...

Neal,
What a great thought and oh how I would like to erase many entries in the book! How about Act 100 scene 30, "Hey Neal, why don't you move your hand while I push down on this drill...." Have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

I have tried to delete that scene from my memory but the scar on my hand won't let me forget!!!
Was that the same day as the "Wedding Singer" quote? LOL
Neal