Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Oh, How the Mighty Fall


During my morning devotions I have been reading through 1 Samuel. This is a record of one of the most interesting times in Israel's history.

I am always moved as I read about the life of Saul - Israel's 1st king. You may know that the children of Israel asked for a king so that they could be like other nations. But not long after Saul was chosen...he was rejected and God sought for a man after His own heart.

In the Old Testament this is nothing new. We find that God anoints people for certain tasks and then chooses someone else to finish the job. It's not because God cannot make up His mind, but rather because these men fail to follow through with the calling God has given them. Saul rebelled against God and therefore lost His anointing. But he wasn't the first: Moses was unable to enter into the promised land, Samson did not know that the Lord had departed from him, David lost a child do to his disobedience...the list goes on and on.

Just the other night my son and I were watching Star Wars III. He is always troubled with Anakin becoming Darth Vader. I always have to explain why and how it happened, but it gives me a great opportunity to talk to him about the choices we make. It's easy to see in the movies that Anakin's soul struggles within him. Often he cries over the choices he has made but is so bent on becoming powerful. Sound familiar? How often have we struggled within ourselves but chose what was wrong because in the end it is what we wanted?

It matters not if we have been placed in the role of King, Prophet, Jedi knight, Sunday School Teacher, Father, or average everyday Christian. We cannot allow ourselves to become consumed with the lust of the flesh, lust of the eyes, and the pride of life. These are the passions that consume our world but should not consume us. We must be careful to watch over the things that could lead us to the "dark side."

I'm always saddened to read about Saul, Samson, etc. However, I'm also burdened with the thought: this could be me. I don't care who you are...it can be you as well. We must remember that obedience to the Lord does matter. Humility does make a difference. And regardless of how anointed we are, we have seen in our day as well, the mighty can fall.

1 comment:

ExPatMatt said...

Hi Neal,

I saw your post over at Atheist Central and thought I'd let you know that the Raytractor community has now grown and moved location to:

www.wearesmrt.com

This was actually pointed out by blogger Quasar at the start of the post you commented on.

We are a diverse bunch and are currently about 9 Chapters into a Bible Study group. We have a few resident theists who provide their insight into the Bible but I'm sure we'd all appreciate the views of a actual pastor.

We can be a bit crass sometimes, but we are sincere in our attempt at a fair read-through of the Bible.

See you around!

Matt