Friday, February 22, 2008

Simon Says


I'm amazed at how many people watch American Idol and say, "I can't stand Simon."
It's my opinion that most people started watching American Idol because of Simon. Something about hearing a man in a British accent saying all the things that we would like to say if we were "totally honest".
Last night, however, some think he may have crossed the line. The final vote was in and one of the guys was getting ready to go home. As Colton stood there at center stage, Ryan asked Paula for some advice. Paula did her usual just keep singing bit. Then he turned his attention to Simon, and asked for some constructive critique. Simon, as always, being the honest guy he is basically told the kid to find a good job and enjoy singing but that he wouldn't have a career in music.
Ouch! "But what about the children?" Everybody get so upset when you don't make people feel better about themselves. I have seen several posts on this very topic. Men and women who probably agreed with Simon yet didn't like his timing. Others who think Simon was way off base. The truth is we don't like the truth. We want people to tell us what we want to hear rather than what we need to hear.
As I thought about this last night and this morning Proverbs came to mind. In 27:5 we read that open rebuke is better than secret love. Oh, but how we hate to be rebuked - told the truth. We don't want people to be honest with us, and we don't want to be honest with ourselves. In today's culture we have children walking around middle/high schools believing that they are going to grow up and be a rap star or play professional ball. The sad part in all of this is that if a kid never grasps the fact that they probably won't be a professional "baller" or singer they will end up wasting their life. (Look up the statistics.)
That's right - I said it! Proverbs 22:6 "Train up a child in the way he should go..." What I truly love about this verse is that it doesn't stand alone. In verse 1 of the same chapter the Word says that a good name is better than riches. Come on folks, put it together. We should be raising our children to have a good name. We should be raising them to seek truth in their lives. It's o.k. to have dreams, and it's o.k. to have goals; but have a contingency plan. What happens when I get voted off of American Idol? What happens if I blow my knee and my career is over? What happens if I never get that scholarship that I dreamt about? If we will raise our children to be men/women of integrity, honesty, and followers of Christ then we can trust that they will be fine should they not reach the pinnacle of their hopes and dreams. Why? Because we will have raised them to seek a Good Name rather than Riches.
I don't think I'm going to take the "Simon" approach to parenting. My kids need more than that. But I hope that in the end I will never be accused of being the one that placed smoke and mirrors around them. I want them to see the truth, understand the truth, and live the truth.

No comments: