Tuesday, February 26, 2008

I Believe It!



The Apostles Creed:

I believe in God, the Father Almighty, the Creator of heaven and earth,
and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord:
Who was conceived of the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary,
suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died, and was buried.
He descended into hell. The third day He arose again from the dead.
He ascended into heaven and sits at the right hand of God the Father Almighty, whence He shall come to judge the living and the dead.
I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins,
the resurrection of the body, and life everlasting. Amen.

A few years ago, before his death, Rich Mullins took the Apostles Creed and made it into one of the greatest Contemporary Christian songs ever played. There is no way that I can count the number of times I have heard and sung along with the words that you just read. Dove Award winners - Third Day - even released a live, more modern version of the song, which is by far my favorite rendition.

I was taking my kids to school this morning while listening to Third Day's Chronology II CD and this song came on. And as I listened to the song something happened. It's something that I have experienced before at the same exact moment in the song. It came with these words: "I believe in the Holy Spirit, one holy church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, I believe in the resurrection, I believe in a life that never ends." It was during those last two lines that I experienced a great filling of the Holy Spirit. It was so overwhelming that I began to cry and thank God for the forgiveness that He has offered me, the promise of the resurrection, and eternal life.

I believe it! Whole-heartedly, completely, and without reservations. What wonderful promises from God's Word. How great it is to know that with God my account has been made clean and that this world is not my home. That filling (not feeling) of the Holy Spirit was a reminder to me of all that Jesus promised. He was doing what He came to do. The Holy Spirit is in me to remind me of all that Christ has spoken.

I'm not going to take a lot of your time today. Instead, I want you to focus on your confession of faith. Do you believe what God's Word has spoken? Do you believe in what we call the Apostles Creed? Take some time and look over those words again. If you have a copy of the song version - put it in the CD player and sing with all your might these awesome words. And may the Holy Spirit fill you with the same awe and wonder that I experienced. Then take that experience along with your beliefs and share it with someone else.

Who knows? God may use it and you to bring someone to faith in Christ today!

No comments: