Wednesday, August 26, 2015

More Than A Compass

"Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make straight your paths." Proverbs 3:5-6

Of all the words that Solomon penned, these verses are among my favorites. The simple wisdom of Proverbs 3:5-6 is an incredible foundation upon which we can build our lives. It's an anchor for our souls. While life is often filled with questions, we can rest in the person of the Lord and His heart for us. It matters not where the course of life takes you, He is faithful.

It's important for us to understand some things about this verse if we are to apply it correctly. I often hear people say "I'm trusting the Lord for _____________________." What they are saying is that they have a need and that they believe that God will provide that need. While I'm not against this type of faith per se, I do think it misses the point of the above verses. Trust in the Lord doesn't need to revolve around a particular thing. Trust needs to be centered upon who He is. When we read that we should acknowledge the Lord in all of our ways, we need to note that the Hebrew actually says "to know, to learn to know, to perceive and see, to find out and discern." This moves our understanding to a much deeper level.

To Know
To Learn to Know
To Perceive and See
To Find Out and Discern

all point to an experience of the Lord. An experience of authentic relationship. I get to know the Lord as I am learning to know Him. I perceive the Lord in every situation so that I may see Him. I find out and discern what the Lord is doing in my life and in my circumstances. Don't allow these verses to be cast by the wayside. Our Heavenly Father has always wanted us to experience Him in our lives. To have face to face relationship. Heart to heart. If not, we will simply abide by principles and rules. Missing out on the joy of intimacy.

The more we know the Lord, the greater our discernment of what He has placed within us. The greater our understanding of how our passion fits into the Kingdom. The more we see Him in our daily lives.

Life is not a crap-shoot. Faith is not a roll of the dice. It may seem like that at first, but as we mature in our faith we will discover greater confidence in who He is and who we are in Him. As this happens, faith becomes second nature because we are building it upon our trust in Him. Much like a child who learns to walk has to eventually trust their legs. We are learning to stand. We take every day step by step. Eventually, as time goes on, we don't even question where our feet land. Have you ever considered that faith could be as normal as walking?

I trust in the Lord. I have experienced His goodness. I have heard His voice. I know His love. While these are all areas where I can grow, I have developed a confidence in who the Lord is for me. Knowing that He is for me, and trusting that His Spirit can guide me, allows me incredible freedom. There are times that I deliberately step into what the Lord has planned and purposed for my life. There are other times that I discovered it. In each of these instances it was trusting in the person of the Lord that made them possible.

Maybe that sound too simple for some. Too easy. My question for them is: Was I not designed to walk in faith? Was I not created to walk in relationship?

Belief in God is not contrary to human nature.
Trust in the person of the Lord is not against our makeup.
How I wish we would understand that NOT believing and NOT trusting are opposed to who we were created to be.

Looking for direction in life?
Trust in the person of the Lord. Learn to know Him. Perceive how He works in your life and see Him. Find out what He has placed within you and discern how the two of you can make it happen. This life was designed as a partnership with our Creator. Every thing He has given to us is a means of expanding His Kingdom and filling the Earth with His glory. Don't lean on your own understanding. Be fully convinced in who He is. And make sure you take the time to be fully convinced of who you are. He is more than a compass pointing to the true north. He is more than a plan that provides the right steps. He walks with us. Willing to guide the way. Excited to be on the journey with you.

No comments: