Thursday, January 31, 2013

The Family That Soars Together

"Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one’s youth. Blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them!"
{Psalm 127:4-5}

For my last blog entry of the week I want to challenge the way we think about parenting. I want us to recapture the joy and blessings of what it means to sow into the lives of our own children. My purpose? I want us to fly!!!

Our kids are out of school today. This is typically an easy thing for me to handle since I'm not obligated to go to an office, attend meetings, or punch a time clock. It is a blessing and I'm grateful to own it. Since school was called off for today, I was able to take my time this morning. I turned on the television to find that one of my favorite movies was playing. "Hook" - the story of Peter Pan as a father, husband, and business man who has to return to Neverland to rescue his children. I've share some of my own insights into this movie with the PBC Voice followers. I love the emphasis on identity - remembering who you are. What I took away today was just as powerful.

One of the great moments in the movie is when Peter remembers how to fly. For those of you who know the story of Peter Pan then you will remember that it only takes one happy thought along with some Pixie dust to fly. Peter's happy thoughts? The day that he became a father. He remembered the joy of being called "Daddy". Peter was able to fly when his children became his happy thoughts. As I watched this scene unfold, the thought came to me that all of us as parents can soar when we recapture the joy what it means to be a father or mother. We can truly fly when our children are our happy thoughts.

You may be saying that this is too simplistic. There's just way too much pressure, too many responsibilities, and too much conflict in your family to make this possible. I would disagree. I think the problem is that we have made it way too complicated. Don't get me wrong. I realize that there are a lot of struggles. But I have a choice in how I enter into those struggles. I have a choice to remember that they call me "Daddy" and I have one of the greatest privileges in life.

Allow me to share with you some quotes from the movie and then I'll comment.

Moira (Peter's wife): "Your children love you, they want to play with you. How long do you think that lasts? Soon Jack may not even want you to come to his games. We have a few special years with our children, when they're the ones that want us around. After that you're going to be running after them for a bit of attention. It's so fast Peter. It's a few years, and it's over. And you are not being careful. And you are missing it."

- I love the statement that Peter's wife make here: "We have a few special years with our children, when they're the ones that want us around." This is so true. There are so many parents out there living with regret because they allowed the pressures of parenting, providing for the family, marriage, career, etc. to get in the way. I understand the challenge. I know what it means to want everything for your family. The problem is that we sometimes get caught thinking that we can't have it all. And the reality is that we can have provision, we can have a good job, we can have our needs met, and we can have quality families. It's all possible because I believe it is in the heart of God for us.

Peter Pan: "Jack, Maggie, all you have to do is think one happy thought, and you'll fly like me."
Maggie: "Mommy."
Jack: "My dad, Peter Pan."

- This is the scene where I typically get wrecked. I'm not ashamed to admit it. Peter is demonstrating to his children that if you will follow my lead then you can do what I do. Unfortunately, too many parents are saying "Do what I say not what I do." Bad Form!!! Children always seem to do what we do, say what we say, and follow us into the good, bad, or ugly. So much behavior is learned behavior. As parents we have an opportunity to create an environment where our whole family can soar. A place where we can all reach our potential. A place where love, safety, and honor is present. In the end, it is my hope, that when it comes time for our children to fly that we will be their happy thoughts.

Take This Home With You (Literally!):

The Scripture that I posted at the beginning is a great reminder for each of us. We are typically blessed with children in our youth. They come at a time when we have energy, excitement, and plenty of creativity. They come to us at a time when we can still tap into our imagination.

Notice the imagery of this verse. "Like arrows in the hands of a warrior..." Arrows are carefully crafted because it is important that they fly true. Any slight bend in the arrow shaft, any damage to the fletching, or any mishandling can cause an arrow to miss its target. If you are in a fight, it can cost you greatly. The care in which we raise our kids, the attention to the details, these are all important aspects to what will take place when we release them.

While all of this is important, I want you to remember one word in particular - "BLESSED".
When you walk into that door and your kids want to hang all over you - You are blessed.
When you have that child who keeps trying to get your attention, wants to interrupt your conversations, or wants to play - You are blessed.
When you have to take the time to teach, correct, and instruct them in the ways of life - you are blessed.
Happy is the man whose quiver is full of these blessings. Happy is the family who learns how to soar together. Generation after generation can bask in the glory of former generations when we learn how to keep each other in our happy thoughts. May we never allow the weight of family to overtake us. May we always remember the joy that is our and the blessing that we get to live in. These CAN be the greatest days. These CAN be the most wonderful memories you make.

Enjoy the journey. AND...enjoy the flight!!!

No comments: