Tuesday, January 22, 2013

A Lifestyle of Trust

"Trust in the LORD with all your heart,
and do not lean on your own understanding.
In all your ways acknowledge him,
and he will make straight your paths." {Proverbs 3:5-6}

The wisdom found in Proverbs 3:5-6 is so simple that it can often be missed. Our society seems to thrive on figuring things out for ourselves. We celebrate good planning, strategies, and establishing goals. What we miss is a lifestyle of trust.

Let me break it down for you:

TRUST IN THE LORD - to be confident, sure, and secure in the self-existent One.
This seems like a "no-brainer" until you realize how many followers of Christ do not live in faith. We know what we are capable of and we tend to leave the rest up to God. This verse in Proverbs is teaching us to leave it all to God. Be sure of Him. Have confidence in Him. Find your security in Him.

WITH ALL YOUR HEART - Every fiber of your being, every emotion, all of your intellect.
In other words, remove all of your doubt. Trust God with a complete abandonment. That's why I titled this blog entry as a lifestyle of trust. This isn't something we can do half-hearted. It's an "ALL IN" relationship where I learn to trust Him in everything.

DO NOT LEAN ON YOUR OWN UNDERSTANDING - Do not rely upon or support yourself on your own wisdom.
One of the things we need to learn about faith is that it is not settled in what we can see. It is not based upon our own experiences. We cannot have a faith that is simply settled in what we know or what we can accomplish. This is a faulty approach to faith in God. It's quite the opposite of genuine trust in the Lord. It may sound redundant but we need to hear it. Trust in the Lord rather than your own thinking.

IN ALL YOUR WAYS ACKNOWLEDGE HIM - "Ways" literally means road but figuratively it is a course of life. "Acknowledge Him" means to observe, recognize, and designate.
Here's what the Lord is saying through Solomon: Make me a part of every decision, every action, and every course of life. Leave nothing to yourself. This is Lordship in every area regardless of how big or small.

HE WILL MAKE YOUR PATHS STRAIGHT - He will prosper you on the journey. He will direct you in the right paths.
This point is very simple. There are many "ways" that we can travel. There are many "roads" in life that we can take. However, the best path for us are the ones that the Lord leads us in. They are the most prosperous. They are the most peaceful. They are the best paths we could take.

Fleshing it out:
Here's what it looks like folks. Every day of my life is lived with a constant awareness of the Lord. I seek His direction and His guidance. I acknowledge His Lordship over my family, my career, my spiritual life, etc. There isn't a part of me that I keep to myself. It all belongs to Him. My faith and trust in Him keeps me connected to His heart.

This doesn't mean that the Lord will not bless me when I make choices apart from Him. It simply means that the abundant life that Jesus promised is found in the relationship. Personally, for me, it means that I don't have a "spiritual life" and a "natural life". It means that I don't have a "sacred" portion of life and a "private" portion of life. He's got it all. He is Lord over all of me.

I hope that you never read these blogs and think I have it all together. Nothing could be further from the truth. I simply want to encourage you with what I'm experiencing and what I'm trying to do in my relationship with Him. I want nothing less than a real, organic, and experiential relationship with God. I want more than a "Sunday Morning" Christianity. I want a relationship with Him that flows into my relationship with my wife, my children, etc. I'm learning to acknowledge Him in how I respond to my feelings, my circumstances, and my opportunities in life. I'm acknowledging Him in my finances, my ministry, and even my leisure times. AND I'm finding that God is constant with me. He is true to His Word - He will never leave and He will never forsake.

May you find peace and contentment in the path that He lays out for you as well. Enjoy the journey!!!

No comments: