Thursday, March 1, 2012

Knowing His Ways vs Knowing His Deeds


Psalm 103:7, "He revealed his character to Moses and his deeds to the people of Israel." Other translations of this verse tell us that God revealed His "ways" to Moses and His "acts" to the children of Israel. Either way you read it: Moses was in on something that the rest of the people were not experiencing.

I think I have discovered why Moses experienced God in such a different capacity. In Exodus 33 we find Moses asking God to reveal His ways unto him. Most of us already know that Moses would draw near to the mountain where God was, while the rest of the people stayed at the base. We understand that the people of God were comfortable with a man of God. However, what they missed is the difference between intimacy and religion.

I have come to a place in my spiritual life where hearing about God isn't enough.
Hearing other people's testimony can no longer sustain me.
I must know God for myself, experience Him for myself, and establish my own understanding of who He is based upon His Word and my own personal encounter.

Maybe you feel the same way I do. Maybe you have found yourself talking about a certain attribute of God that you only know through study. You believe it, you can prove it in Scripture, but there isn't an intimate knowledge. Do you find that frustrating? Do you ever get jealous of other people's intimacy with God? Don't you want to know Him - personally - in your own life?

If you know me personally, then you know that I enjoy reading. I absolutely love hearing people articulate their faith and experiences with God. God has used many different authors to shape my understanding of Him, His Word, and His Kingdom. But I cannot be content in someones "mountain top" experience when I know that God has called me to make the hike for myself. While I appreciate their ability to shape their thoughts into words, I long to experience God for myself. I long to hear Him speak His character and attributes into my own life. Knowing His deeds is not enough. There was a time in my life when it was essential for me to know what He has done. There was a time when I needed to hear from others. I just cannot be content to grow in the shadow of someones experience.

Most of us came to faith in Christ through the hearing of His deeds. There's not too many people who got saved through a Damascus Road experience. It was through the proclamation of the deeds of God that I came to know all that God had done for me. It's how I initially came to know the love of God and experience for myself. But something changes in each of us when we hear Him speak His love into our hearts. Something is altered forever in our lives when His nature is revealed to us. And something must change. If we do not see a change in our approach to God then we are no better than all the other religions in the world. We will find ourselves in bondage to a religious system rather than enjoying a thriving relationship.

Jesus was manifest to clearly reveal the nature of the Father. He has deposited His Spirit within us - a Spirit that cries out Abba, Father. Can you imagine in the natural spending your entire life hearing about your Dad but never really knowing Him? Can you imagine your brothers or sisters talking about how wonderful your dad was but never experiencing him for yourself. Most of us would think that is a ridiculous way to live. I wonder how many of us think it's ridiculous to live our Christian life the same way? We are too content to hear about the glory of our Heavenly Father through our brothers and sisters rather than experience Him for ourselves.

You have to ask yourself the question:
Do I want to know His character or am I content to know of His deeds?

Depending on your answer...there may be a trip to the mountain in your future.

No comments: