Thursday, March 29, 2012

Another Milestone Reached...


Yesterday I logged in my 700th blog post. How interesting (to me) that it was a reminder about our identity in Christ. However, it's just "a drop in the ocean" considering the wealth of information we have yet to obtain.

There's a story that was relayed to me about a man who had never seen the ocean. One of his friends had visited several times and wanted to help him understand how incredible it was. He took a glass, filled it with ocean water and sand, and brought it back to his friend. He said, "See...this is the ocean. It's just as incredible as I said it would be." While most of understand that this sand/water filled glass could never contain all of the ocean; why is it that we think one person, one church, or one denomination could give us a full understanding of who God is?

Our God is continually revealing Himself to us.
Jesus brought to the world an understanding of the nature of God in the flesh.
The Bible gives to us an understanding of God in the Word.
The Holy Spirit is continually giving us an understanding of God in the Spirit.
While there are plenty of people in the world who claim to know God, I think we are all better suited to say that we are trying to know Him more and more every day. {Got to give a shout out to my wife for that last part - THANKS!!!}

The Bible is full of people who thought they really knew God only to find that there knowledge was just a drop in the ocean.
Job thought he knew God until the revelation that came in the suffering
Paul thought he knew God until the Damascus Road experience
David thought he knew God until another revelation came that birthed yet another song
All throughout Scripture we find story after story of God revealing more and more of Himself to us.

The fact of the matter is this: While the Bible contains information about God, God is not contained within the Bible. There is so much more to know and experience. There are heights in our relationship with God that we haven't reached. There are moves of the Spirit of God that we have yet to experience. There is so much more!!!

Jesus even told His disciples that if they knew how to give good gifts to their children, "How much more will the Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask." One of my favorite quotes comes from a professor I had while in Bible College: "How much more of God's how much more do you want?"

I appreciate you all staying with this blog over the past few years. It's been a great way for me to put my thoughts down in a way they could be recorded. It's also been a great way for me to work out some of my own issues, some of my own theology, and even some of my own inquiries as to the nature of God. I hope that we can continue to learn more together. As it relates to our understanding of who God is for us and who we are in Him - there's plenty to learn.

Be Blessed!!!

No comments: