Wednesday, October 5, 2011

The New Nature


2 Corinthians 5:17 tell us that if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new. Immediately we are confronted with a question: If all things have become new, then why do people continue to struggle with what they used to do?

There has been great debate over the years about whether or not followers of Jesus have two natures. Many believe that we have a continual war of the old nature vs the new nature. That somehow the old nature is still hanging around just to keep us from becoming all that God wants for us to become. The problem that I have with this explanation is that it goes against the Word of God.

Galatians 2:20 (one of my most favorite verses), "I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me." According to Scripture, I have died with Christ. In fact, in baptism I was buried with Him and I rose with Him. Ephesians 2:1-7 talks about how we used to operate by the nature of the children of wrath but through Christ we have been made to sit in heavenly places with Christ Jesus so that God can display His kindness and mercy through our lives. So...if I died with Jesus, rose with Him, and have been seated in heavenly places with Christ...where's the struggle? The struggle is in our mind.

More and more I am realizing that what I believe affects how I live. If I believe that the old nature is still hanging around then I can excuse my sin. If I believe that I'm a sinner (old nature) then I will act like a sinner. However, if by faith I believe that I am righteous (new nature) then I will act as one who has been made righteous. This is the power behind the renewed mind. If I have allowed my mind to be renewed by God's Word then I will experience the transformation that God has promised. The grace of God has changed my nature but it has also brought me into a position of freedom. And in that freedom I have greater responsibility...I have a choice. Will I operate in the new nature or out of the one I used to have?

Many believers I know are very quick to go back to the law when they blow it. In other words, if they do something that is contrary to the nature of God within them, then they try to right the ship. The only way they know how to right the ship is to do better. But the Christian life is not about doing - it is about being. By the works of the law, no flesh can be justified. Only by faith in what God has already accomplished can I enjoy the abundant life that Christ has promised.

Peter put it this way in his second letter to the church: "His divine power has given us ALL THINGS that pertain to life and godliness...by which have been given to us exceedingly great and precious promises, that through these you may be partakers of the divine nature..." (2 Peter 1:1-4). God has allowed to be partakers of the very nature that He possesses. It is through His nature within us - the divine power that what promised through the Holy Spirit - that we are able to live contrary to this world. What I have to understand is that it is not natural for me to sin because my nature has been changed. Sin is unnatural to a righteous man. Right? For me to live in unrighteousness is contrary to may new nature. I now have to go outside of myself to operate in the lust of the flesh, lust of the eyes, or the pride of life.

There's no doubt that there is a war going on in us, but that war is in our minds. That war is between our ears. Are we going to be ruled by the world's definition of who we are, the definition of other believers, or even the definition we have of ourselves? Or are we going to allow God's Word to define us and live according to His definition? The choice is ours.

Over the last few months, this has been the topic of much of my preaching, teaching, and blog entries. I feel like Paul when he said, "Finally, my brothers, rejoice in the Lord. To write the same things to you is no trouble to me and is safe for you." (Phil. 3:1). Sometimes we have to be reminded over and over again of the same truth. We must get this teaching into our spirit or we will continue to struggle between two definitions. Who are we going to be? What nature are we going to allow to rule our lives? Which will we choose: works of the flesh or the grace of God? You decide.

No comments: