Thursday, August 11, 2011

What is the Problem?


O.K. So...when we returned from Chicago, I noticed a wet spot on one of the ceiling tiles in the basement. It didn't make a whole lot of sense. We hadn't been home for a week. After some investigation I still couldn't find a leak. Called a plumber/heat & ac guy to come check it out. The problem wasn't a leak in the plumbing. The problem was condensation built up in the duct work.

This series of events got me to thinking. How often do we look into the life of another person and think we have the answer to all their problems? How often do we look into our own lives and only scratch the surface?

Jesus was talking to the religious leaders about true defilement. Defilement doesn't come from what goes in a person (what they eat, drink, etc.). True defilement comes from within a person. In Mark 7:20-23, Jesus said, "What comes out of a man, that defiles a man. For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications, murders, thefts, covetousness, wickedness, deceit, lewdness, an evil eye, blasphemy, pride, foolishness. All these evil things come from within and defile a man."

While none of us should ignore the things that are present, we must go to the heart of the matter. An unregenerate heart produces unregenerate activity. The Pharisees of Jesus' day consumed their time making sure the cup was clean, the hands were washed, and the outside activity of their lives was up to par. Jesus turned the tables on them by saying that what was on the inside is what made the difference. What flows out of us is in direct relationship with what is going on inside of us.

The good news of salvation is that God changes our heart. We have become children of light. As long as we keep those lights burning, then we never have to be concerned with walking in darkness. As long as I function from my identity in Christ, then I will live the way He lived. Religion cannot change me, legalism cannot alter my behavior; only by God's grace at work in my life and His nature at work in me will I resemble the qualities of this kingdom.

This is not only true in our walk with the Lord but in every relationship. How I treat my wife, my kids, my friends/family, etc. It all flows from the inward working of God's grace and mercy. I allow the values of God's kingdom to change my values. I allow the Kingdom of God to flow into every relationship. I give honor, grace, love, and value to every person. I am reconciled to people around me. I freely give forgiveness because it was freely given to me. The list goes on and on.

Here's what I want you to consider: Think about some of the problem areas of life and ask "What is the problem?". If this question doesn't lead you to the root then you aren't looking deep enough. I have heard couples talk about the problems of their marriage or parents talk about the difficulties with their kids and only address what is easily noticeable (like the wet spot on my ceiling tile). While we may be able to alter behavior with external force, we will never fix the heart of the issue. And the heart of the issue is always what is going on in our hearts. If you and your spouse have difficulty in communication then you need to ask "What is the problem?". If your kids aren't giving you honor then you need to ask "What is the problem?". Dig deeper...ask the right questions...find the problem...and fix it.

No comments: