Tuesday, August 16, 2011

A Life of Victory


I was watching an episode of The Waltons last night that got me stirred up. In this particular episode, the family was housing a young preacher who would be speaking at a tent meeting later in the week. After listening to him practice his sermon and talk about his faith it dawned on me that many people today still carry this same belief system: Sin is very powerful and we are very sinful.

Don't misunderstand my statement. Sin is very powerful in the life of unbelievers. Without the grace of God at work in our lives, we all struggle under the weight of sin. The fact of the matter is that we can never overcome sin in our own ability. So...in that respect (when dealing with an unbeliever) I understand how we view sin as a powerful force in a persons life. However, I'm not an unbeliever. I'm also no longer a sinner. According to God's Word I am a son of God, a child of light, and the righteousness of God in Christ.

If you and I take the time to read God's Word we will discover that it has much to say about who we are in Christ and what we are able to do. Here are some examples:

Romans 6:14 tells me that I do not have to be dominated by sin.
James 4:7 teaches me that if I will submit to God & resist the devil that he must flee.
1 John 4:4 says that the Spirit of God in me is greater than the spirit that is in the world.
Romans 8:37 tells me that I am more than a conqueror through Jesus Christ.

These are but a few examples of the Abundant Life of Jesus at work in me. I do not have to be overcome by sin, I am not a sinner, and I can life a life of victory.

As long as you and I are not under grace then we are stuck living in our own power. The human will is very powerful, and I may be able to live up to a moral code for a season, but what happens when I am weak? How can I continue to be victorious in my own strength. The answer: I can't.

The individual that I watched on television last night was constantly busy because idleness is the devil's workshop. He took cold showers and exercised constantly so that he wouldn't be driven by impure thoughts. While this may sound ridiculous to many people, it was an example of how many believers have tried to live a "holy" life. What I want to submit to you today is that a life of victory comes through your faith being put into practice. When you believe what God's Word says about you, live by His definition, and then experience His grace at work in your life, then you are able to move from faith to knowledge. And when you KNOW something, your faith takes you to a whole new level.

This concept is true in every area of our faith. It's one thing to believe that God can heal and quite another to know that He is able. It's one things to believe that God can use you and quite another to know that He can use you. Faith is very important but our faith needs to move us into experience. When you experience the healing power of God (in your life or someone you have prayed for) then you will operate quite differently. When you experience the grace of God in overcoming sin then you will live differently as well.

A victorious life rests in the finished work of Christ. Do you believe that Jesus paid the penalty of your sin at the Cross? If your answer is "yes" then you don't have to wallow around in shame and condemnation. Do you believe that Jesus overcame the power of sin when He rose from the dead? Then you don't have to struggle under the weight and burden of sin anymore. There is grace available to overcome and that grace is available every day of your life.

Walk in GRACE. Establish your heart in the righteousness of God. Trust in His ability over your own. Live a life of victory. To do anything less is to miss out on the inheritance that is yours in Christ.

No comments: