Tuesday, November 23, 2010

I am Thankful


"For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek. For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith; as it is written, 'The just shall live by faith.'" {Romans 1:16-17}

There is no doubt that I could spend a great deal of time thanking God for all of the material blessings in my life. I have a roof over my head, a vehicle to drive, food in my refrigerator, meat in the freezer, and other vital necessities. Most of us can also move past the necessities and thank God for the non-essential stuff that we own. However, I can honestly say that of all the "things" that I am most thankful for, I am most thankful for the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

Paul told the church at Rome that the gospel of Christ is the power of God to salvation. I can testify to that truth. It has been almost 19 years since that became true in my life. I had heard the gospel countless times before I ever accepted Christ but on that day something happened. I believed the gospel and it has forever changed my life.

What about you? Have you ever taken the time to thank God for the power of the gospel? Everything else in life means very little if we have never allowed the truth of the gospel to set us free. The old saying is true: "He who dies with the most toys still dies." I can accumulate all the wealth in the world, never want for anything again, be blessed with all material blessings; but without the power of the gospel at work in me I would still be lost.

Think about it:
The RIGHTEOUS ONE bore my unrighteousness on the cross.
The SINLESS ONE became sin for me.
The PERFECT SON OF GOD gave His life for the imperfect ones like me.

God in His great love chose to give Himself as a sacrifice for our sins. We can be forgiven, set free, and have His Spirit take up residence in our lives by believing in what He has done. The Bible tells us that it is by GRACE through FAITH that we are saved. If we confess with our mouths the Lord Jesus and believe in our hearts that God raised Him from the dead we shall be saved. This is true for everyone who calls on the name of the Lord!

As we prepare to gather with family and friends over this thanksgiving holiday, let us not forget to give thanks for the incredible power of the gospel. I have been made the righteousness of God in Christ. Sin no longer has dominion over us because we are no longer under law but under grace. All because of the amazing, wonderful, and grace filled power of the gospel.

If you have allowed this message of the gospel to change your life then you can be truly thankful. If you haven't accepted Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior, then you can do it today. Thank God that you have the opportunity to be saved. Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you can spend this Thanksgiving truly thankful for what God has done in you by His grace.

No comments: