Monday, November 8, 2010

Going with the Flow


"Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content" {Philippians 4:11}

Paul's lesson of contentment is found in the understanding that we can do all things through Christ who strengthens us (verse 13). These verses cause me to ask the question: Can I go with the flow?

We all have certain moments in life (possibly days) where we have to make a decision. Am I going to be upset at changes in schedules, stressed at the problems that life throws at me, or bothered that I cannot always do what I want to do? OR...can I go with the flow and make things work? We often look at Paul's comments and say, "I don't have to have everything." And we immediately link contentment with material things. But what happens when there is a conflict of schedule? What happens when a flight is delayed? What happens when I find out that it will take another day to get my car out of the shop? Most of us understand that we cannot possess everything that we want but struggle being content when our time is affected.

Time seems to be one of the most valuable concepts in the American culture. We know that money can slip through our hands rather quickly but try to make the most of all the time that we can. That is why devices that make life simpler, cause us to save time and effort sell like hotcakes. If you can save me a few minutes, I might be willing to spend a little more money. But there are some things in life that cannot be helped and we find ourselves having to change our plans:
One of the kids is sick
The car doesn't start
The power goes out and the alarm doesn't go off
There is an accident on the highway and traffic is backed-up
Etc., Etc., Etc.

Paul told Timothy that "godliness with contentment is great gain." We may be able to learn contentment but are we God-like in the process? This is one of the hardest lessons of life. It is righteousness in character. It's more about attitude than action. Can I go to the Father and say, "I know that you are in control."?

Remember: Not every bump in the road is meant to be a distraction. There are some things in life that become Divine opportunities. Don't be so quick to be upset when things don't go the way they should. Learn to be content and godly through the process. It's a lesson we can all learn.

No comments: