Thursday, March 4, 2010

Stop Reacting & Start Responding


Proverbs 2:11, "Discretion will preserve you; understanding will keep you."

During my Fruitland days (that's where I went to Bible college), one of our class assignments was to match up with a pastor in the area in order to seek counsel, learn about different styles of ministry, and to be mentored. The pastor I worked with encouraged me to take time in God's Word everyday. He directed me to read a chapter in the Psalms, Proverbs, and Acts everyday. The Psalms would direct me in praise, the Proverbs would bring wisdom, and Acts would give me insight into early church history. It was great advice.

Proverbs is full of valuable truths that can help us in everyday life. It deals with relationships, morality, justice, etc. There is great advice for parenting, marriage, work, and the like. Proverbs 2:11 is something each of us can use.

Have you ever found yourself reacting to a certain situation only to pull back and say, "I wish that I would have handled that differently."? It's amazing the insight we gain when we are willing to evaluate a situation instead of reacting to it. Sure...there are times when you must react. If your child is running into a busy intersection you better react. Some things in life require immediate action. However, there are some situations where we can pray, reflect, and seek God's wisdom.

Pay attention to these words: "Discretion (good judgment) will preserve you." The word preserve in the Hebrew means to guard, keep, protect, and watch over. When you and I choose to use good judgment, we will be guarding, protecting, and watching over ourselves and others. The opposite of discretion is indifference, and indecision. When we become indifferent to a situation we will act out of our emotions rather than our will. That is why too many marriages fail. One or both partners become indifferent to one another. When we become indifferent, we do not use good judgment.

"Understanding will keep you." Once again we find that using the mind over the heart, getting to a place of understanding, will keep us from doing evil. When we choose to react to everything, too often our reaction is based in our feelings. Though feelings may be valid they cannot always be trusted. Understanding can be translated perception. However, if our perception is based in our feelings rather than fact we will lose out every time.

I have been fortunate to learn some valuable lessons in ministry. When I was younger, I reacted to everything. Someone said something that I disagreed with - I made sure they knew where I stood. When I live in reaction mode I am quick to defend myself, quick to deal with things, and even quick to anger. No wonder James teaches us to be "quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to wrath." God placed a couple of men in my life who would serve as models for me in this area. They are non-confrontational...me...not so much. I was able to gain wisdom about taking the time to look over a situation rather than jump to my first conclusion. It doesn't mean that I don't deal with things but that I'm willing to be wise in certain situations.

Stop reacting! Not everything in life is a house fire.
Start Responding! Take time to let the Holy Spirit and the wisdom of God's Word to guide you.

In the end you will find that God works some of these things out without your help. It will take discretion. But if you use good judgment, you will preserve yourself and others. You will have to use understanding but at least you won't wreck everything. Remember James words in all of this:
QUICK TO LISTEN
SLOW TO SPEAK
SLOW TO WRATH

Walk in the Spirit and you will not fulfill the desires of the flesh.

No comments: