Thursday, July 9, 2009

Which is Worse?


"We have learned that suffering is not the worst thing in the world - disobedience to God is the worst." - Vietnamese Christian Pastor Imprisoned for his Faith.

There is no doubt that we live in the lap of luxury. If you don't believe me all you have to do is walk where I have walked this past week. Sure, Ukraine is making vast improvements since I 1st visited 4 years ago. However, it doesn't take the average American very long to miss things like cold drinks, ice, air conditioning, clean toilets, etc. And those are just the things that any visitor would notice. Think about the churches. I wonder how many worship leaders could handle leading worship without an overhead projector, hymnals, or the latest music - or preachers who can preach without relying upon the latest technology but must preach straight Bible exposition.

This is where we see that the American church has crippled herself. I'm not against technology, I just wonder where we place our greatest emphasis. How much of a church budget is being used to upgrade the sound equipment, create the most contemporary worship experience/setting, and the like? I know first hand that you can worship and experience God in a dimly lit and muggy hot building and still be satisfied. Being without the latest technology isn't the worst thing in the world.

Let's go a little deeper shall we? What about believers who live in persecuted or restricted nations? I recently read of a Chinese pastor who was arrested during a worship service only to ask for his bag. In the bag he had already packed a change of clothes and a towel. He was ready! Even though I pray that God would bring great victory to these churches and that we could somehow see the end of martyrdom within the body of Christ; I'm realizing more and more that suffering isn't the worst thing in the world. In fact, when we read of persecution in the Bible we find that the Word of God is spread around while the church continues to experience great growth.

I must agree with our Vietnamese brother, "...suffering isn't the worst thing in the world - disobedience to God is the worst."

There are men and women in the world (followers of Jesus Christ) who are willing to endure the greatest suffering and loss to keep their testimony. They will endure imprisonment, excommunication, torture, and even death to uphold the belief that Jesus Christ is the only way to salvation. Says a lot about someone in America when they can't even tell Larry King that Jesus is the only means of salvation for fear of losing a few church attenders. {They know who they are}

What has challenged me over the past couple of weeks is reading a devotional from the Voice of the Martyrs ministry. This "Extreme Devotion" has truly encouraged me while at the same time bringing a stinging rebuke to my own walk with Christ. Though I live in the lap of luxury should I expect my relationship with Jesus to be comfortable as well? If I understand God's Word, should I not expect persecution? Didn't Jesus remind His disciples that they would experience persecution since He was persecuted? He told them to not be surprised if the world hated them because it first hated Him!

It's my desire that the church of Jesus in America recapture the simplicity of her faith. This can be done while at the same time enjoying modern conveniences. It's just a matter of focusing on what is important...what really matters. And what really matters is that we are obedient to God in all things. It is through our obedience to God that the world will see that Jesus Christ can make a difference in the lives of individuals. It's through our obedience to God that we give Him the glory that He is due. It is through our obedience to God that we step out of our comfortable sanctuaries to take the Gospel to a lost and dying world.

Which is worse - To be without, to experience suffering and loss, or to live in disobedience? I think the answer is clear! Let's follow Jesus.

No comments: