Thursday, July 30, 2009

What is the Cost of Liberty?


Patrick Henry, before the Second Virginia Convention in 1775, spoke these words: "It is vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry peace, peace - but there is no peace. The war is actually begun...Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death."

AMEN!

As I have thought about these words and what they meant to our nation, I couldn't help but think of their application in the spiritual life.

Basically, what Henry is saying to the convention is that there is no true freedom in chains or slavery. Amen? Amen! Is life so dear that we dare not risk losing it for the sake of freedom? Is peace so sweet that we are willing to be bound rather than step into true liberty? In the natural life and for the sake of our country most of us would do whatever necessary to live as free men and women. However, spiritually speaking, far too many are willing to live in bondage to a religious system rather than shake free from their chains. Don't believe me? Let's keep going.

How many people have stayed in the same church for years although they are dead spiritually because they are afraid of what others would think if they left.

How many believers have been willing to give in to their convictions to satisfy the beliefs of someone else?

Have you ever been legalistic? Ever? Of course, most of us have at some point in our lives. Are we willing to submit to what God says about certain things rather than what the preacher says? {They do get it wrong some times!}

I remember thinking that there was something seriously wrong with people if they weren't at church every time the doors were open. Ever thought that yourself? Now, as a pastor, I look for ways to get people outside the doors. Funny how things change. But that is the work of grace that God has worked in me.

The cost of liberty in the spiritual life is death. Yes, there must be some blood shed. The good news is that blood has already been shed to set me free - the blood of Jesus! Galatians 5:1, "Christ has set us free to live a free life. So take your stand! Never again let anyone put a harness of slavery on you." Message Bible.

We aren't saved to enter into a religious lifestyle. We are saved to live free from sin, free to enjoy God's grace and goodness, free to grow in our relationship with God. Dear friends, please understand that God wants you to enjoy your salvation and to stand fast in the liberty that He gives.

So let's stop worrying about hair, tattoos, clothing, music, Bible translations, etc. Let's start showing and teaching people how to enjoy this new found freedom in Christ. The problem with too many people is that they have never nurtured this freedom in their own life. Therefore, they adopt a set of religious principles and rules. THEN we take those same principles and rules and put them on other people. Misery loves company doesn't it?

I have finally come to a place in my walk with Christ that I'm willing to risk it all for the freedom He has given me. I'm willing to risk to share the Gospel. I'm willing to risk to follow God's leading. I'm willing to risk so that I may hear the sound of His voice. I'm willing to risk! Just saying it is a liberating feeling.

"My chains are gone
I've been set free
My God, my Savior has ransomed me
And like a flood His mercy reigns
Unending love, Amazing Grace" -Chris Tomlin (Amazing Grace - My Chains are Gone)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is a topic that deserves its own month of meditation on the implications and applications....