Tuesday, November 25, 2008

A Preacher's Frustration

What a beautiful day! As I begin to share my thoughts I stare out the window and watch huge flakes of snow fall. I absolutely love snow. It's a wonderful interruption to the dreariness winter. Most winter days there is an almost gray look about the world but then comes the brilliance of white. During this time I'm reminded of the scripture that says, "...though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow..." [Isaiah 1:18]

It's verses like these that continually prompt me in the preaching of salvation. I was once one of those clothed in crimson but now (in God's sight) I'm white as snow. This past Sunday I shared one of the most simple Gospel messages I have ever preached. It was basic - to the point - easy to understand. I sensed that the Spirit of God was at work and yet did not "see" anyone come to faith in Christ. Thankfully, I know that I was not made for results - that is, it's my job to preach and God's to save. However, I cannot help but to feel a little frustration as people leave such services without making a commitment of their life to Christ. How does it happen? How are we able to "brush off" the convicting power of the Holy Spirit? Don't get me wrong...I'm remember those days well. I remember gripping the backs of pews. I remember wondering if we would ever stop singing the closing hymns. I remember walking out church doors thinking I survived another one. But, as a believer, it's hard to fathom how I (or anyone else for that matter) resisted God's love for me.

A few years ago a lady I worked with gave me some great insight into the heart of an unbeliever. She said, "What makes you think that you can say something in 30 minutes that would make me change my entire life?" Good Point! The only answer I have is that apart from the work of the Holy Spirit there is nothing I can say. There is nothing you can say either. Salvation is a HUGE step in life. When we submit our lives to the Lordship of Christ we are making a decision to turn everything over to Him. However, speaking on behalf of those who are now on the other side, it's the best and most important decision any of us could ever make.

Don't get me wrong folks - I will keep on preaching salvation through Christ. In fact, the frustration I feel at times only fuels my passion to ensure that I communicate plainly the way to salvation. There are several moments in scripture where people rejected Christ...some to His face. And if they didn't choose Christ under the preaching of the Savior then who in the world do I think I am?

My greatest concern is what goes on in the mind of the unbeliever. Are they experiencing the conviction that I remember as a young man? Are they leaving these services with great conviction? Is God at work? The only answer to these questions is for the church to pray with all we have that God does move and God does work in the hearts of the lost. Then AND ONLY THEN will people give themselves to the Gospel message. Jesus is the only way to salvation. He is still the door to everlasting life and forgiveness of sin. We cannot change the message but we can affect the type of soil we sow upon. I hope that the church will renew her efforts to pray for the lost and sharing of the Gospel.

1 comment:

Launch International said...

I must say it baffles me that the Holy Spirit is convicting people of their sin in such great ways in places like Africa and yet in America it seems like there is absolutely NO conviction?

What has happened? Where is the conviction? Is it that people are fleeing from the conviction in their heart or do they even FEEL conviction at all?

It's not just about preaching, but it's also about our praying. One of the reasons God moved so mighty in South Africa is because the ground had been "softened" by prayer if you will. Why was it softened? Because people had been praying and were praying for this trip probably daily for months! Strongholds were pulled down and the darkness flushed away by the power of our pleas and prayers. DO WE PRAY FOR OUR SUNDAY OR WEDNESDAY SERVICES THE SAY WAY, WITH THE SAME PASSION, AND THE SAME EXPECTANCY? I believe the answer is no unfortunately. When we change that answer to yes we change the outcome of our services, our state and our nation.