Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Up to Date

Sorry there wasn't a blog yesterday...had a funeral.

I'm ready to talk about things other than politics but at the same time these are important times with important issues.

Let's look today at Obama's plan for the economy. He has said that 95% of the American people would get a tax cut. He has also said that he would raise taxes on anyone making $250,000 and above.

My in-laws have there own business. Today they would not be considered a small business. However, I cannot help but think how terrible Obama's tax increase on them can affect them and my family. It's not that hard for small businesses to make $250,000 a year. When you consider that taxes come off the gross income of small business.

Over the last several years we have heard that the greatest growth we have seen in our economy is from small business. They have been deemed the engine that IS driving our economy. If we raise taxes on small business they either have to increase their prices OR they will have to fire employees.

One other issue: This idea of health care as a right is ridiculous. As a father and a husband it is my responsibility to provide health care for my family. It is my privilege either through my work or my family budget to obtain health insurance for my family. It is not and should not be a right. As soon as the government decided to mandate health insurance and to fine companies for not providing it we will see unemployment shoot through the roof.

Folks, I understand the expense of health insurance. My family has health insurance only because I pay for it. It is a budget item in our household. I will pay for health insurance before the cell phone, dish subscription, Internet, etc. It is a priority for me while hundreds of thousands of others wait for their employer or government to hand it to them. Another reason we have decided to pay for health insurance is because it gives our family freedom. We are not tied down to a particular job simply because of benefits.

Get the point? Freedom to choose, freedom to dream, and freedom to follow our dreams and calling. There is no doubt in my mind that at some point in the future we will see government sponsored health care because the general public doesn't get it. Look at the housing market. We have allowed the government to be so involved that the mess is evident. Wait until they get their hands on health insurance.

For this election you must know the issues. The choice is clear: we can be dependent upon government to provide for us or government getting out of the way so that we can provide for ourselves. It's that simple.

No comments: