Tuesday, April 15, 2008

What Happens to a Discarded Idol?

In case you haven't noticed, I enjoy American Idol. It's the only "reality show" I watch. I have a love for music and as a kid I used to love Star Search. American Idol is Star Search on steroids!

I noticed this year they are looking at past contestants. The "where are they now" times are always interesting. Some of the past idols are easy to find. They have found a career (or at least enough money) in music. I came across one the other day - actually he came across me - he was being played on Spirit FM.

How many of you remember Chris Sligh? You know - guy from SC, big hair, great humor, and strong voice. I would say that he was the funniest audition ever. He was also a great talent. He even sang "We All Wanna Be Loved" by DC Talk. Anyway, I heard he was doing the Christian music thing and I gave him a listen. The first single is awesome. It has a great sound, the lyrics are powerful, and I love it.

I want you to take a look at these lyrics. And for those who don't like to read but would rather hear >>>>> http://www.myspace.com/chrissligh [highlight the link, copy, and paste in address bar or just type what I typed].

Empty Me - Chris Sligh

I’ve had just enough of the spotlight when it burns bright
To see how it gets in the blood.
And I’ve tasted my share of the sweet life and the wild ride
And found a little is not quite enough.
I know how I can stray
And how fast my heart could change.

Empty me of the selfishness inside
Every vain ambition and the poison of my pride
And any foolish thing my heart holds to
Lord empty me of me so I can be filled with you.

I’ve seen just enough of the quick buys of the best lies
To know how prodigals can be drawn away.
I know how I can stray
And how fast my heart could change.

Empty me of the selfishness inside
Every vain ambition and the poison of my pride
And any foolish thing my heart holds to
Lord empty me of me so I can be filled with you.

Cause everything is a lesser thing
Compared to you, compared to you.
Cause everything is a lesser thing
Compared to you so why surrender all?

Empty me of the selfishness inside
Every vain ambition and the poison of my pride
Empty me of the selfishness inside
Every vain ambition and the poison of my pride
And any foolish thing my heart holds to
Lord empty me of me so I can be
Lord empty me of me so I can be filled with you.
Oh, filled with you.
Empty me.

What a wonderful perspective to have in life. Everyone of us could pray these words: Lord Empty Me.

Be Blessed today.

3 comments:

ChrisSligh said...

Hey man,

Chris Sligh here...thanks for the plug...coupla things though...I was from SC (I live in TN now) and I did sing a dcTalk song, but it was "We All Wanna Be Loved" from "Supernatural".

Thanks again,
Chris

Nelson said...

WOW! Empty me Lord! This seems to be a tough thing for us all to do. We pour in everything this world has to offer. This creates rings and stains around our soul than can only be removed by the gift that flowed from Calvary. Lord help me pour more of you into my spirit.

Launch International said...

Gee Chris, a little picky about the details are we? I love the song though especially talking about "empty me of selfishness inside...and the poison of pride"...words we can all stand to use in our prayers.