Friday, April 25, 2008

Consider the Times

Friday is here and like most Friday's the creative juices have almost dried up. As I thought about all of the things I've shared, and looked over some current events there is only one thing that jumps out to me today: Consider the times.

The Bible makes it very clear that we should consider the times in which we live. As believers we should always live with the expectation that Jesus Christ will return for His church at any given moment. With all that being said I want to share with you a poll that I recently participated in. Neal Boortz had a poll question the other day that asked whether or not people believed there would be a peace agreement between Israel and Hamaas (Palestine). The results were very interesting as most people don't believe there will ever be peace between the two. Before I even answered the question I thought to myself, "It depends on what you believe about the Bible."

In the book of the revelation we read that there will be an eventual peace treaty between Israel and Palestine. This is one of the signs of the end times. If I believe the Bible then I understand that eventual peace with these two groups will bring about recognition of the antichrist. I want to say that I don't think Jimmy Carter is the antichrist, however, we must consider the times in which we live.

Think about it: wars and rumors of wars, weather that has become seemingly unpredictable, earthquakes, famine, destruction, and the sinfulness of man is increasing. We live in a time where even the hearts of the believers are waxing cold. We must consider the times. I, like most of you, enjoy the life that God has given me. I have children that I'm raising, a wife whom I love, and friends that I enjoy. If I'm not careful I can allow all of these things to taint my view of Christ's coming. I can allow these things to keep me from looking forward to His return.

The Bible teaches us that this world is not our home. We are only pilgrims in this world. We were created for relationship with God. We cannot fix our eyes upon this world, but rather should look forward to the world to come. The good news about my family is that we are all ready. Each of us have accepted Christ as our Lord and Savior. Upon His return I can be assured that when the church is called home each member of my family will be caught up together. What does it mean for my friends? It means that if they are not ready to meet the Lord I should be sharing the gospel with them.

Jesus told the Apostles that it was not for them to know the times or seasons that God has set in order. They were to concern themselves only with the preaching of the gospel. What Christ was teaching them was to have an urgency about their lives and their calling. We don't know when He will return that is why it's so important to consider the times in which we live.

I hope that you will be encouraged as you think about His return. I hope that you look forward to His coming. Don't allow yourself to become so comfortable here that you don't enjoy God's plan. Considering the times should bring about an excitement in our hearts. However, if the thoughts of Jesus coming back brings fear to your heart then you need to ask "why?". Why are you fearful? What is keeping you from looking forward to his return? Are you not ready? All you have to do is accept Jesus death on the cross as payment for your sin. All you have to do is believe in His resurrection from the dead. The Bible promises us that if we confess with our mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in our heart that God has raised Him from the dead we shall be saved. The Bible goes on to say: "Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved." Are you "saved" today? Do you know Jesus as your Lord and Savior or is He just some obscure part of history? Why don't you accept Jesus today?

Consider the times. Today is the day of salvation!

No comments: