Friday, April 4, 2008

A Friend at all Times

Proverbs 27:17 teaches us that just as iron sharpens iron - so a man can sharpen another man.

I want to put out a big HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Ron Gibson. Ron serves Pioneer Baptist Church as Worship and Missions Pastor. He is officially older than me today. LOL!

You might be asking yourself why I'm using today's blog to talk about this. Well, I'm glad you asked. Ron has been at Pioneer for several years now. When he came to this church he was at one of his lowest points. His life had been devestated by some personal blows and he was searching for God in the midst of his mess.

It was through those unfortunate circumstances that I was able to be acquainted with someone whom God would use in great ways in the life of this church. Ron joined our fellowship, immediately involved himself in the ministry of the church, was healed in so many areas of his life, and is now a staff person with PBC. His story is unique, but not uncommon. It's a testimony of what can happen in any of our lives when we submit ourselves to God and seek Him out in our daily lives.

God has used Ron to transform the way we worship as a church body. He has also used Ron to become a partner in the vision of our church. When PBC took it's first trip overseas - Ron was a part of that process. And now, because of God's work in his heart, Ron helps others acheive the dream of doing missions.

The reason I'm telling you this is because of I Cor. 16:18. Paul wrote to the church about Stephanas, Fortunatus, and Achaicus. He said, "For they have refreshed my spirit and yours. Therefore acknowledge such men." So to Ron we say thanks for refreshing the spirits of the membership of Pioneer Baptist Church. Thanks for your partnership in the gospel ministry. Thanks for your friendship in every circumstance of life.

Happy Birthday Ron.

2 comments:

Launch International said...

Thanks Neal for your kind words...the words of encouragement and appreciation outweigh any other gift you could have ever given me today.

Since I don't have a blog, I'll use my comment to say a few things back. One should never underestimate the importance of friendship. David and Jonathan were the best of friends. They sharpened each other as iron sharpens iron. They were honest, real, and open in their friendship. It's not always easy to be that way with people because that means you have to trust them totally. Trust can be hard to garner up in today's culture of backstabbing and betrayal. We get used to being hurt and left behind. That's why when you do find a friend that your spirit is knit together with, like David and Jonathan, you cherish and appreciate them. Neal has been that type of friend to me. Through all of my struggles and set backs and then through all of the accomplishments and achievements, I've had Neal there cheering me on all they way. God gave me someone here on earth that comes up and ran the race beside of me, with me, and sometimes for me when I don't think I can go a step further. I thank God and praise Him for honoring me with such a friend, such a co-laborer in ministry, such a pastor, and such a REAL brother.

Even great friends like David and Johathan had to go off in different directions but their loyal and friendship never waivered and never failed. You never know when life may take you away from those you are closest with so take some time today to let your friends around you know how important they are to you! (this ends the Hallmark Blog of the day LOL)!

Nancy Goodman said...

I can certainly understand how happy Pioneer Baptist and Neal would be to have Ron working and worshipping with them on a daily basis. I am unfortunately, one of those Ron left behind in his job prior to working full-time in the ministry there. But I thank God daily for the blessing of Ron and his friendship, as I truly believe God joined our hearts and paths in friendship when we were both experiencing trials in our respective lives. We miss you in Beckley, but ask for God's richest blessings upon you, Sarah, Katelyn and your church as you serve Him. Nancy