Thursday, October 22, 2015

If You Are Going Through Hell...

Hopefully you have enjoyed the preview of the book I have been working on. "The Day I Stopped Trying" has taken quite a bit more time than I anticipated. There's grace for that. I hope to finalize the draft soon. Thank you for the encouragement to make this dream a reality.

As I was thinking about what I could share today, I was reminded of something I shared with our local high school football team. They have struggled this season. Still winless. A tough schedule ahead of them. And this quote came to mind. "If you are going through hell, keep going." I think this is exactly what the grace of God says to each one of us. Don't Stop! Don't Quit! Don't Give Up! There is more inside of you than you realize. There is no need to bow out now. Fight the good fight. Keep the faith.

One of the reasons people give up is because they only see how far they have to go. They fail to see how far they have come. As I said yesterday, this is a marathon not a sprint. There are some things in life that take time. The question remains if we will endure the process. When it comes to a difficult season in sports, it's hard to say when that first win will come. If you give up before the season is over, you may never experience the thrill of victory. When it comes to life, I cannot point to a mile marker. I cannot give you a predetermined place of success. All I can say is that if you stop reaching forward you will only experience what is in your present circumstances.

The Bible has a lot to say about the intestinal fortitude we need to keep going. Thankfully, this isn't done in our own power. The Lord has provided everything we need to keep going. To keep abounding in the work of the Lord. Think about these statements:
"Be steadfast, immovable, always abounding..."
"In the world you will have tribulation. Be of good cheer. I have overcome..."
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."
(Paul said this after talking about being hungry and full, having plenty and lacking)
"Let us not grow weary in well doing. We will reap if we do not faint."
"He who began a good work in you will complete it..."
"Blessed is the man who remains steadfast under trial..."

So much encouragement. So many reasons to never give up. Plenty of truth for the grace of God to bring to life in you. Just keep going.

I realize it can be tough. I understand that people will often let you down. Especially when you have determined in your heart to remain faithful to what God has placed within you. Some will reject you. Some will despise you. Is that any different than what Jesus experienced? Despised and rejected by men, He endured. Facing the execution tree, He gave Himself. The Bible actually tells us to consider all that He went through so that we do not lose heart. It was the joy set before Him that kept Him moving forward. Even in the face of death, He embraced the process. Believing that what He was doing would make a difference in the world.

The resurrection of Jesus from the dead gives us incredible hope. The same Spirit that raised Jesus from the dead lives inside of you. What can He not resurrect? In what area of life can He not give hope? What could you possibly go through that He would not be able to overcome? You have to remain confident in Him. You have to trust that He is with you and will never forsake you. You have to believe that He's got this.

The world is full of people who gave up somewhere along the way. They allowed their circumstances to win. They tried the faith thing and it just didn't work out. I'm not questioning their hearts or their motives. I'm simply asking the question, "What if?" What if they would have allowed the grace of God to carry them through? What if they, like Paul, determined that the suffering of this present time is not worthy to be compared with the glory that would be revealed in them? I often wonder how close some people were to realizing their dreams before they gave up. If we could stand back and see from the Father's perspective - hear His voice - look at the timeline of life - what would we see. Some of them could have been days, weeks, or months away from what they hoped for. If they only kept moving forward.

This isn't easy. I get it. We just finished a race with our Cross Country team that taught me a lot about determination. The course was brutal. Most of the final times were at least 2 minutes off of a standard course. I'm not even sure that it would be considered a legal course under VHSL standards. The grades were long and steep. Footing was questionable in some places. As I stood at the 1 mile mark, I could see the agony in their faces. Just to get to this point required a lot of work. I told our top runner that he needed to be a warhorse rather than a racehorse. This one would be a battle. As they started the descent into the 2 mile portion of the race, I knew they had to loop back around to where I was standing. I decided to stay. They would need encouragement back up the hill. Some of the guys had to walk portions of that hill but they never gave up. I kept reminding them that the other side of the hill looks better. The finish line wan't far away and the majority of it was downhill. They gave me their best. Determined to never stop.

Several years ago I read the classic "Pilgrim's Progress." There is a scene in the book called the last difficulties. Christian (the main character) and Hopeful can see the Gate of the city. Between them is a river that must be crossed. Wading through the river would prove to be difficult. Christian, in particular, actually believes he will drown in the waters before entering the city. His faith was waning. The difficulty seemed too great. In that moment, Hopeful cries out, "Be of good cheer, my brother; I feel the bottom, and it is good." I love this statement. I feel the life that it produces. I feel the bottom and it is good. Oh, how we need the Hopefuls that will encourage us to keep going. The ones who, even if we are going through Hell, will let us know that it is just a season. That there is a place on the other side for us. Just Don't Quit! Keep Going! Don't Give Up!

"Now to Him who is able to keep you from stumbling and to present you blameless before the presence of His glory with great joy..." [Jude 1:24] If you are going through Hell, KEEP GOING. There's grace for this.

No comments: