Thursday, April 30, 2015

Allowing Your Story to Unfold

I consider myself a movie buff. I grew up with a Grandfather who managed a movie theater, so watching movies has been a normal part of my life. And I like all kinds of movies. What I do not like, what I can't stand, is when they try to put too much into one movie. You know, they are trying to tell this whole story but they keep leaving out things we need to know. They either don't allow a character to really develop, or the story to truly unfold. I just saw one recently that kept going back to a particular scene but they never explained it. Apparently it was important to the story. Important enough to keep showing it. But they never really allowed it to shape our understanding. Must have gotten lost in the editing process. They had to cut out some pieces to fit the movie into a particular time frame. As I thought about this, I realized that some stories take a little more time. Some moments need to be captured to bring us to a greater understanding. In life, this is what endurance is all about.

That's what I love about this quote from Dr. Seuss. There are times in our life when we just need to let the story develop. We may not understand every moment, but one day it will all make sense. I've seen it over and over again. I cannot tell you the times that I have looked back on certain circumstances, times I wanted to give up, and have discovered the Lord working so strongly there. I heard His voice, felt His encouragement, or simply experienced His presence in the midst of it all. There were times it felt like Hell. There were other times that it felt like Heaven. What I'm discovering today is that I am thankful for all of the moments. They drove me to His heart.

In today's culture we like everything fast. We like fast food, fast cars, fast computers, fast internet speeds, and fast phones. My generation is what I like to refer to as the microwave generation. I remember when we got our first one. That things was incredible. I remember my Mom trying to cook everything in it. There were a lot of meals that came out of that microwave. I even recall the time we had microwaved eggs. Yeah...some things need to develop slower. And they need more butter! The point that I'm trying to make is that life doesn't work in a microwave. It's more of a slow cooker. It takes time for the flavor to be just right. It takes endurance.

Yesterday I talked about not giving up. That part of this journey is ultimately discovered in our ability, and willingness, to endure. There will be moments in our life when it seems like we are growing really fast. It's like everything is on fire. It's fast, it's raging, and it's hot. Then there will be times where it feels as though we are moving at a snail's pace. Where we just don't know if we will ever get through. Long hours of praying, hoping, and believing that we will make it. All of these moments are important to the process of becoming. Everything in life has meaning if we don't waste them. It doesn't mean that everything is from God. It just means that He can speak to us through them all.

Allowing your story to unfold is no different than reading a book. You can try to Cliff Note it, but you will be missing out on vital information. You might know the plot, but you will not know the story. Stories have to be read. You have to get to know the characters. You need to feel the emotions. You must immerse yourself, visualize what is taking place, and capture the author's heart. Your life is no different. You have to fight the urge to shortcut it. You must capture the heart of the Author and Finisher of faith. You need to see how your character develops.

I am not who I was 23 years ago. That's when I began my journey with the Lord. So much has changed. So much has changed in me. I can look back on the ups and downs, the good and the bad, and I have no regrets. If I had it to do over again, I might have made some different choices. But the reality is that I know that all of those choices have shaped me into the son that I am today. Some of it I learned the hard way. Some of it was really painful. Some of it was really incredible. All of it is a part of the journey. Part of the story. My life unfolding before you.

Don't rush it. This is a lifelong journey of faith. I believe that's the measure of faith that we have been given. It is enough, more than enough, to carry us through. To discover Him along the way, and to see Him when we look back on the memories. So much of life is learned through trial and error. To think that we have to get it all perfect out of the gate is ludicrous. It's not about perfection. Life is shaped in the crucible of patience. Enduring through it all. Trusting that it will all work out for good even if it doesn't feel good right now. If life is a story, then you just in a chapter. It's not the beginning and it's not the end. To quote T.D. Jakes, you are somewhere in the "messy middle." Just hold on.

We want to see the whole of you on display. Nothing taken out. Nothing edited for time or content. This is how we share our story and help others in the journey. A story where nothing is lost. All has been redeemed. I know there has been pain. I'm sure there has been loss. But there has also been some incredible things along the way that we desperately need. Listen to the words of Brennan Manning: "In a futile attempt to erase our past, we deprive the community of our healing gift. If we conceal our wounds out of fear and shame, our inner darkness can neither be illuminated nor become a light for others."

As I have been writing this morning, I keep hearing the James Taylor song "Fire and Rain." I've always though that this song had more to do with loss than redemption. It seemed to speak more about tragedy than triumph. That is, until I read an interview that Taylor did with Rolling Stone magazine. The song is all of the above. It's about Fire AND Rain. It's about Tragedy AND Triumph. It's about Loss AND Redemption. The personal reflection of an artist who was able to endure.

It begs the question:
What will your song be?
How will your story unfold?
Keep going. Please. Keep going.

No comments: