Thursday, February 26, 2015

Our Confidence in the Lord

Proverbs 15:16, "Better is a little with the fear of the LORD than great treasure and turmoil with it."
Sounds easy enough. But what is our practice in life? Have we discovered the contentment that comes with knowing Him?

Solomon had about everything that he could possibly want. He was known for the riches he possessed, the wisdom that he carried, the peace within his kingdom, and the blessings that abounded within his life. However, I believe that Solomon discovered that true contentment was not found in having everything you could want. He (the Father) is our greatest joy in life.

Obviously this was a lesson that he learned from David. It's a lesson that most fathers should pass down to their sons. It is a way of life that does not pursue great possessions over the contentment of life. If there is one thing that I have experienced, it's that knowing HIM is the greatest treasure in life. Regardless of what my come, of whatever my lot may be, God is a strong tower.

How often do we read these words without understanding the fullness contained within them? A strong tower may not mean much to those who dwell in a land of peace, but to those who have endured warfare it can mean life and death. This is a way the psalmists would often express the confidence, the security, and the comfort of knowing that God was with them. The joy the experienced in life did not come from great wealth. It was not the abundance of possessions that brought them peace. It was the respect, honor, admiration, and high esteem of the Father that made all the difference.

Someone in our family just had an experience that I believe is worth sharing. During a visit to the Bank, she backed into another vehicle with her brand new car. There wasn't a whole lot of damage. Just a few scratches to remember the moment. However, the whole episode was very upsetting. When the driver of the other car emerged from the Bank, she was met with apologies and deep regret. When our family member had finished her apologies, the driver of the other car had other concerns. "I have cancer from the top of my head to the soles of my feet. Treatment has caused my hair, and my teeth, to fall out. I have only been given a few weeks. I'm not concerned about that car."

Talk about a change in perspective!!! In this one moment, concerns over worldly possessions were trumped by the brevity of life. With what little time this other lady possessed, she knew that a car did not add one ounce of joy (or time) to her life. Unfortunately, for too many people, it takes something like disease to allow us to see things clearly.

It's quite different from Solomon's experience (or David's), but the Proverb holds true. I can have all the possessions of the world, along with the turmoil that comes with it, and never discover contentment in life. You see, with great wealth comes great concern. Winning the lottery doesn't mean that all my problems fade away. Inheriting a great sum of money doesn't mean that I will find peace. Our life finds its meaning in knowing Him. I could possess very little from this world and yet have everything I need in Him.

The Apostle Paul talked about this dynamic in life as well. What he discovered in Christ was the contentment to be full or hungry, to have everything or to be in want. Regardless of what this life threw at him, he knew that Christ would strengthen him. Within the person of the Lord, Paul discovered everything he needed for life and godliness. He knew how to work. He knew how to trust. He knew when to go after something. He knew how to wait. All of this made possible through His relationship with the Father, through the Son, empowered by the Holy Spirit.

Many people have said this much better than I ever could. However, I want us to find this contentment in our own life. I want us to see that our relationship with our Heavenly Father as the greatest thing we could ever possess. It's the discovery of our life within His that allows us to find joy in the midst of sorrow, peace in the midst of chaos, and strength in the midst of weakness. It is our walking with Him that allows us the confidence to go through life with all of the ups and downs. It's His heart for us, our children, our relationships that gives us the knowledge that He can work all things for our good. It's the finished work of Christ that gives us the security of knowing that NOTHING can separate us from the love of God which is in Jesus.

This does not mean that we cannot hope or work for a better life. It simply means that whatever we encounter, we find the best in it because He is with us. The Lord is not outside of our joys or sorrows. He is not looking on while we top the mountain or go down into the valley. He is with us every step of the way. Our success and our failures are secure in Him, for it is in Him that we live, and move, and have our being. As I type these words, I sit in my living room. I don't have to believe in the room. I don't have to trust that this room is real. I simply exist within it. When we realize that our life is IN HIM, it's the same approach. I don't have to believe it to make it true. I don't have to trust it to make it reality. I simply exist within the reality. The more persuaded I become about this reality, the greater my experience of it. This is my life based upon this reality. There is no whim of separation. I no longer see God as outside of the equation of my life. I find Him here and I discover that He is enough.

The reality of His presence with me is not up for argument. He has promised, and He will not fail. The Holy Spirit within me is the guarantee of this life. This keeps me from superstition. This keeps me from seeing material things as a sign that He is with me. This keeps me from becoming performance oriented. This allows me to rest in His goodness, and gives me the confidence that I shall see His goodness in the land of the living. This is my journey with Him, and He is faithful.

No comments: