Friday, December 12, 2014

Thoughts on Christmas

First of all, allow me to apologize for the sporadic behavior in my writing. It seems as though every year around this time, the time between Thanksgiving & Christmas, that I struggle to keep up with the blog. I appreciate your willingness to stick it out with me. Now...some thoughts on Christmas.

I did something yesterday that I rarely do. In fact, I can only think of 3 other times I have done this in my adult life. I bought a Christmas album. The temptation was too great. Unlike my daughter who begins playing Christmas music immediately after Thanksgiving, I've never been a big fan of it. Sure, I have some favorite songs out there, but to buy an entire album means that I have dedicated myself in a purchase to the sounds of a season. In other words, it's an album that I listen to once a year.

What made this album so different you might ask? It's Kim Walker-Smith! Not only is her voice captivating, the thoughts behind her doing a Christmas album meant that the songs wouldn't be the same. The album has not disappointed. It is an incredible blend of spiritual Christmas carols & holiday favorites. It's also exactly what I needed this holiday season. A perfect 17 song collection where I can meditate, reflect upon the joy of the season, & simply enjoy the atmosphere.

What has prompted this kind of thinking? To be honest with you, it's been an extremely busy time of year. My wife's grandmother is in the hospital, our calendar is filled with obligations, and (like so many of you) we have been running in all kinds of directions. That's the mental & physical side of it. On the spiritual side of things, I woke up the other morning with "Joy to the World" playing in my head. I was amazed at the amount of comfort this song brought to me. Immediately I was whisked away to a childhood memory. There I was as an elementary school age kid standing on the stage of Lambsburg Christian Church. We were holding our annual Christmas program. I could clearly see the dimly lit sanctuary, the poster boards down front reminding people of their lines, and the smiles of family & friends. All seemed right in the world. I stuck my chest out, raised up my head, and was singing to the top of my lungs "JOY TO THE WORLD - THE LORD HAS COME - LET EARTH RECEIVE HER KING..." In that moment I was reminded of the simplicity of the message. I felt the peace, the joy, & the absolute assurance of the love of our Father.

He Has Come & We Will Never Be The Same!!!

Our world forever changed in that moment. The arrival of the Christ child signaled the dawning of a new age. Humanity had been lost in darkness. Groping to understand life, the nature of God, & how to live in peace with one another. The Incarnation demonstrated the heart of the Father for humanity. The Son chose to identify with us so much that He took on flesh. His name would be Emmanuel - GOD WITH US. Of course, we know the rest of the story. History reveals to us the life that He would live, the ministry He would perform, and the rejection that would be poured out upon Him. The Godhead knew all of this in the beginning. They stuck to the plan. The rejection of man would not stop the reconciliation of the Father. Emmanuel came to be a Redeemer. He came to Rescue. He came to Restore. "You will call Him Jesus because He will save His people from their sins." All of this wrapped up in the birth of a baby. All of this is what we celebrate this time of year.

Is it any wonder that the angel proclaimed, "Behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy which shall be to ALL PEOPLE..."? The dawning of this new age meant and end to old one. It ushered in a greater existence. It reminded us, once again, of what had been lost. Our misunderstandings of the nature of the Father would be replaced with the awe inspiring knowledge of His love. His affection for His creation would be on full display. The blind would see. The lame would walk. Broken hearts would be mended. The prisoners & captives would go free. What I fully knew within my spirit as a child, what I sang about with all my might, & what I am now re-learning as an adult is that all is right in the world as it relates to the Father. The Lord has come & we will never be the same.

It is my prayer for you, that in the remaining 13 days you will be swept away in these thoughts. May your heart be forever persuaded about the love of the Father. May you be reminded that in the hustle & bustle of the season, that almost 2,000 years ago, PEACE arrived. Reflect upon His goodness. See the heart of the Father for you & all of mankind. REJOICE!!! THE LORD HAS COME!!!

No comments: