Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Welcome to the Journey

In John 1:36-41 we read about Andrew (Simon Peter's brother) hearing John the Baptist point out Jesus as the Lamb of God. He left John to follow Jesus, found out where he was staying, and immediately went to find his brother. As I read this familiar passage I was reminded of an enduring truth: All I can do is invite you on a journey. The rest is up to you.

After having this thought I decided to look up some images for the blog that had to do with inviting people on a journey. I came across the quote that you see in the image from Charles S. Lauer. I'm always amazed at how what is true in the natural is also true in the spiritual. Too often we get caught up in the idea that people MUST follow where we are going. However, all we can do (as the quote adequately states) is invite them on the journey.

Think about this for a moment:
John the Baptist has quite a following. In fact, a number of his disciples stayed with him up until his death. There were some who immediately left when they encountered Jesus but that was expected...right? It seems that through Scripture we discover that John handled this transition well. He knew the season that he was in, what he was supposed to do, and the his calling was to lead people to the Christ. The only time we see him struggling with his decision was after he was thrown in jail and he sent his disciples to Jesus just to make sure that He was the One.

Life Application:
Your journey is your journey. How you have come to understand God's will for your life can only be answered by you. You may be in a position where you can allow others to come along but the reality is that it's your journey. Depending upon God's purpose for your life it may require that you walk alone, walk with a few, walk with several others, or both. What each and every one of us needs to determine is whether or not we will be confident in what God has called us to do. I'm not supporting arrogance, I'm just saying that not everybody will be able to see what you see.

Over the years I have come to understand this reality. It can be a difficult lesson if you are as relational as I am. When people walk away it can become personal if you are not grounded in your identity in Christ. Not only have I had to understand this in my personal life but also in the corporate life of the church. I can tell you about my experiences, I can share with you what I have learned, and I can challenge you in the same ways that I have been challenged but the reality is that you will have to determine what happens next.

In the case of Andrew, Peter chose to follow and walk alongside his brother in the adventure of knowing Jesus. I can understand this because I too had a brother who began telling me of the joys of walking with Jesus. I was a believer but had allowed myself to get out of fellowship. At first I resisted the urging of my brother but eventually joined him. Our paths are a little different but what I'm discovering is that the closer we get to our understanding of Jesus, the closer we have become in the journey. We see each other on the path. There are times that he gets further ahead and than I am (and vice versa) but I take great comfort in knowing that we are on the journey together.

This is a lesson for each and every one of us. There are others on the path that are in their particular journey. From the novice to the lifetime follower - they are all here. We may choose to fellowship together corporately but the reality is that we each have an individual journey as well. We are called to encourage one another, build up one another, and if necessary correct one another in love along the way. What we do not do is enter into judgement or criticism because their journey has led them further ahead or has caused them to lag behind. In the natural when we are hiking there are some people who are in better shape than others. This means that some have the ability to sprint up ahead while others will be a little more cautious, a little more deliberate, and maybe even rest on a certain portion of the trail. The good news is that we are all heading to the same place. That place? It's not so much a destination as it is a person - being conformed into the image of the Son.

Welcome to the journey that we call following Jesus. We have a map (the Bible) and a guide (the Holy Spirit). While there have been plenty of saints that have blazed the trail before us, this journey may require pioneering a new path. It does not mean that what they have done is wrong but that the Spirit will often say "I know a better way." And the Lord trusts you to follow His leading.

In closing I will leave with an and old Irish blessing. I think it fits since we are talking about the journey.

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face;
the rains fall soft upon your fields and until we meet again,
may God hold you in the palm of His hand.


Enjoy the journey!!!

No comments: