Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Kingdom Value

Jesus shared a couple of parables that we read in Matthew 13 which point to the value of the kingdom of heaven/God. One parable (verse 44) speaks of a treasure hidden in a field while the other (verses 45-46) talks about the pearl of great price. Both of these parables remind us that the kingdom of heaven/God is worth all that we have and more.

To truly understand these parables, we must first come to grips with the ideas around the kingdom of heaven/God. The most basic understanding we have is this: "In Christianity, the spiritual realm over which God reigns as king, or the eventual fulfillment of God's will on earth. Although rare in pre-Christian Jewish literature, the idea of God as king was fundamental to Judaism, and Jewish ideas on the kingdom of God most likely shaped New Testament usage. The term is often used in the New Testament, and it was a central theme in the preaching of John the Baptist and Jesus. Theologians differ as to whether Jesus implied that the kingdom had arrived in his person or whether it was expected as a future event. Christian orthodoxy now holds that the kingdom has been partially realized by the presence of the church in the world and that it will be fully realized after the Last Judgment." For our understanding today we will hold to the orthodox view that it has been partially realized and that it will be be fully realized.

There are several references to the kingdom of heaven/God in the New Testament. I will list a few of them here and let you do the research.
The kingdom of heaven is at hand
The kingdom of God has come upon you
The kingdom of God is within you

I believe these phrases are synonymous. Some will disagree with this interpretation, however, in light of what we see in the Gospels some of the writers chose the phrase "kingdom of heaven" while others chose "kingdom of God." Jesus, while talking with the rich young ruler used both phrases. Regardless of how you view it, these kingdom references place God on the throne and become the greatest endeavor of our lives.

The good news for each of us is that the kingdom of God/heaven is realized in Christ. He spoke of His kingdom not being of this earth, prayed that the Lord's will be done in earth as it is in heaven, and then told His followers that the Kingdom of God was within them. We also understand through the writings of Paul that the Kingdom of God is righteousness, peace, and joy in the Holy Spirit. My point is that the Kingdom of God has been realized in Christ, will be realized through us (the Church), and ultimately will come to its full establishment when we see the throne of our Lord among us. What you and I need to understand right now is that the Kingdom of God/heaven is worth everything.

Since the kingdom of God is so valuable, anything related to the kingdom is of great value as well. This is why we use such phrases as "Kingdom Value." What I am discovering in my own life is that when I discover kingdom truth that I must become sold-out to that truth. It's the main reason why I cannot get away from the messages on the finished work of Christ. It's why I cannot abandon the unconditional love of God regardless of the controversy I may have to endure. These are kingdom truths and they are worth all that I am.

Why am I willing to give mercy where others would bring condemnation? There is kingdom value in it.
Why am I willing to see people based upon the unconditional love of God rather than their behavior? There is kingdom value in it.
Why am I willing to change the way I have viewed Scripture in the past based upon the finished work of Christ? There is kingdom value in it.
As long as I view the kingdom of God through a denominational lens, it will be hard to accept the truth of the Kingdom of God.
As long as I view the kingdom of God through the lenses of others interpretation rather than allowing the Holy Spirit to continue to reveal His amazing truth, it will harder to accept the Kingdom of God and all that is available.

I have learned and am continuing to learn how to live from a kingdom mindset. I am learning to pray with the kingdom of God in full view. This is the endeavor of my life. This kingdom is so valuable that I am willing to lose everything to discover more about the valuable treasure the Lord has hidden for us. I am willing to be sold-out to possess this pearl of great price.

What about your life? What have you discovered about the Kingdom of God that has you tossing away everything that shrinks in comparison? I know that some people see this as a radical move but I'm discovering that what we tend to call radical the Bible calls obedience. I know that not everyone is at the same place in their journey but that is why I share the truths I have discovered with such passion. I know what I know, I know what I have experienced, and I know how the truth can set us free. And more often than not, what the truth sets us free from us not just a flat out lie. Many times, it's a half-truth. Which is why many believers are almost free.

The question you will need to answer is: Am I willing to search for the Lord's hidden treasure?
The answer to this question will lead you to another: What am I willing to do to possess it?

Proverbs 25:2, "It is the glory of God to conceal things, but the glory of kings is to search things out." Happy hunting!!!

No comments: