Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Honestly Seeking Truth

This may surprise you but I am often misunderstood. These misunderstandings come for various reasons: I say things I didn't mean to say, people hear me the wrong way, or I just didn't convey the meaning of what I was saying. In particular, as it relates to the Gospel, our mindset can make all the difference. I'll give you and example and then you can figure it out.

I was asked recently about a statement that I had made about being born again through the death, burial, and resurrection of Christ. The person that I spoke with automatically thought that because I used the term "born again" that I meant "saved." However, the reality for me is that I view those two words differently. The reason is quite simple: I view them from the finished work of Christ.

The term "born again" for most believers is tied directly to salvation. We have heard sermons on the subject, handed out tracts, and witnessed to people about the need to be born again to see the Kingdom of Heaven. It sounds proper because of Jesus' conversation with Nicodemus in John 3. The only problem is that much of that understanding is limited to an improper mindset.

"Born again" is better translated as "Born From Above". Most theologians will agree with that. What you and I need to determine is when does this born again thing happen? [If you seek greater clarification read my friend Thom Cooper's book "What's the Meaning of This?! Clarifying Christian Concepts"] According to the person that I was talking with, being born again is something that happens at salvation. And their approach to the topic makes sense because it has been widely accepted. However, when you and I are willing to take a different approach at looking at the statement of Jesus in John 3, we can come away with a greater and even more biblical understanding.

When most people read John 3 they hear Jesus saying "Do not marvel that I said to you, 'You must be born again.'" and immediately think that Jesus is saying "Do not marvel Nicodemus that I'm telling you (Nicodemus) that you must be born again". But when you and I look into the Greek text, we discover that Jesus is actually saying (my paraphrase) "Do not marvel Nicodemus that I'm telling you that you all must be born again." It's the difference in the singular "you" versus the plural "you". In the English language we can use the word "you" and mean both. In the Greek it's very definite. It's for this reason that when we read this passage of Scripture that we must understand that Jesus is not inviting Nicodemus to be born again but telling him that everyone needs to be born again which will be the culmination of Him being lifted up like the serpent in the wilderness during Moses' day. Not only that, but when we go deeper into the Greek text we will discover that being born again is presented with a passive verb rather than an active one. In other words, being born again is something that happens to us rather than something that happens because of us.

To be saved on the other hand is something that comes into our lives because we made a choice. Paul's letter to the Roman church tells us that if we confess with our mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in our heart that God raised Him from the dead then we will be saved. While salvation is ultimately the result of the finished work of Christ, we receive it through our faith in Him. There aren't too many arguments against that statement.

Let me break it down for you:
Being "born again" is a result of the resurrection of Jesus. In fact, 1 Peter 1:3 tells us that God has "caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead". It was something that God caused to happen. Jesus became the Last Adam so that the old creation could be done away with in Him and a new creation could spring forth. It is my belief that every person who has been born after the resurrection of Jesus is a part of this new creation. However, for each of us to experience the abundant & eternal life of Jesus then we must believe that He rose from the dead and confess Him as Lord.

Seeing these two words from the finished work of Christ makes all the difference. Seeing salvation through the pre-determined plan of God will create a greater understanding of the love of God in our lives. The question we will have to ask ourselves is what will we believe? Will we be more inclined to protect something that has been passed down through the ages or will we honestly seek the truth willing to change our minds (repent) if needed? I have chosen the latter. I have chosen to bank it all on the love of God. I cannot read the Scriptures without seeing everything through the finished work of Christ. I guess that means I will always be misunderstood. But...like I said earlier, mindset is everything. AND I am firmly convinced of the finished work of Christ.

No comments: