Friday, April 13, 2012

Open, Closed, or Renewed Mind: Your Choice


Our family was enjoying an episode of "The Waltons" last night when I began thinking through something very serious. You can blame it on John-Boy if you like but I really do believe that it was the Spirit of God. I started thinking about how people tend to be close-minded or open-minded when what we really need is a renewed mind.

On this particular episode, John-Boy was experiencing a lot of criticism for his decision to print some of Hitler's writings in the newspaper. Much of the criticism was even coming from his pastor (imagine that). It even got to the point where the pastor of the church "called" him out during a service. This is the point where my mind went into overdrive. I began to wonder how many people over the years had been called out in such a fashion. It's probably more than I want to know.

The close-minded view of his pastor stirred up even more controversy than John-Boy could have done on his own. Things got so bad that there was even a book burning that was organized by the pastor and other members of the church. However, there was an amazing turn of events. John-Boy stepped in, picked up one of the German books that was laying on the ground and asked a woman to read it. She read it in the original language and then translated the first few verses of Genesis 1. I honestly felt the Spirit of God permeate the room. In that one moment, it seemed as though all eyes were opened to the truth that even German's have Bibles and they almost destroyed the very thing that they were trying to protect.

Being too close-minded and too open-minded can lead to the same place: Ignorance.

Far too often we see people on both sides of the fence actually destroy the very things they are trying to protect. Living with a mind that is being renewed by the Word of God allows us to approach life differently. We understand the necessity of possessing core values, clear cut theology, and a belief system that cannot be shaken. At the same time we understand that not every thought or opinion is damaging to the cause of the Kingdom.

I'm often reminded of Mark 9:38, "John said to Jesus, 'Teacher, we saw someone using your name to cast out demons, but we told him to stop because he wasn't in our group.'" Jesus response: "'Don't stop him!' Jesus said. 'No one who performs a miracle in my name will soon be able to speak evil of me. Anyone who is not against us is for us.'" (vv.39-40)

This is the message that Protestants in many places have forgotten. We aren't working for a Baptist Kingdom, Pentecostal Kingdom, Church of God Kingdom, etc. We are working for the Kingdom of God. The only way that we will ever see the validity of other groups is when we allow the Spirit of God along with the Word of God to unlock our minds. It's the renewing of our minds that brings about the transformation that we all need.

I realize that I challenge a lot of traditional beliefs about church and even the faith that many of us were brought up under. However, it's not because I'm anti-tradition. I'm anti-ignorance. And the only way we will move out of ignorance is when we allow the Word of God to speak for itself. That means that we must sit down and read the Word of God and view it through the lens of Holy Spirit rather than through a denominational lens. My friend Thom Cooper often says that "Everybody believes something. The question we have to ask is what gives us the right to believe what we believe."

My challenge for you this weekend is to re-discover the wonder of God's Word. Sit down with a copy of the Bible and ask the Holy Spirit to teach you. Don't have any other agenda other than hearing from Him. Throughout this week I have been amazed at verses that I have read over and over again that He has unlocked for me. What I am seeing and hearing has caused a revolution within me. The truth of God's Word is powerful and as I walk in that truth I am being set free. I pray that you will experience this same freedom.

No comments: