Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Speaking of Doctrine...


When I first heard about these "elephant room discussions", I thought that it was a great way to get people from various Christian backgrounds together to talk about the hot topics of the Christian faith. At least it's a start...

What made this year's discussion so interesting was TD Jakes involvement. I have listened to TD Jakes through the years, even bought some of His books, and was surprised to hear that he has changed his view concerning the Trinity (how we explain the oneness of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit). I don't want to spend time here discussing doctrine, I do believe that how we believe is very important. I just don't want to say that it's the most important thing.

If there is something that I have learned is that I must be willing to change my mind, hear other people's views/opinions, and discern the truth for myself. While Jakes stated that his view has changed, it wasn't enough for some people. Countless theologians, bloggers, and writers were ready to take him to task for his view or to expose the "holes" in his theology. I want to remind everyone that this is supposed to be a discussion and not a debate!

Personally, I believe in the traditional view of the Trinity. It's what I preach, teach, and understand to be true in how I relate to the Godhead. And what I have noticed in all my years of listening to Jakes is that I never heard him deny the Father, the Son, or the Holy Spirit. However, there are plenty of people that would say that is exactly what he has done because of his theology. These same people would encourage you to not listen to him, or buy his books, etc. They consider him a heretic. What's crazy in all of this is that now many from his denominational background consider him a heretic because of the change. Can't we all just get along?

Here's something that Jakes said that is worth reading:
"...My problem with it as I began to go on and as god began to develop my ministry, I started preaching from that church and from that pulpit and that sort of thing. But I'm also informed by the infiltration from my Baptist experience and my Methodist experience, so I ended up Metha-Bapt-Costal in a way. So I'm kind of like a mixed breed sitting up here, OK? And what I began to find out [is that] it is easy to throw rocks at people that you don't know, but the more you really get to know them and see Christ work in their lives, regardless of their belief system, you begin to try to be a bridge builder...I still did not want to switch teams and start throwing rocks back across the street...I believe we are called as the Body of Christ to reconcile wherever possible."

A little later in the conversation, Jakes added: "Just for your consideration: This is the only thing that Jesus prayed that we can answer. He only prayed, 'Father, I pray that they may be one even as You and I are also one.' And this is the one things that is within our power to answer, and we do not do it."

All in all, the transcripts that I have read give me the impression that it was a good conversation. There were times that it could have gotten "heated" but it seems those flames were put out. I give Jakes a lot of credit for just wanting to be in on the discussion. But what I'm finding is that's all some people want. They just want to be in the discussion. They want you to consider that they are saved, that they love the Lord, and that they are a part of the same kingdom. I mean...some people can't even accept that!

I'm looking forward to the day that we truly endeavor to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. We don't have to agree to get along. We don't have to be the same to work beside one another. And we don't have to have the same label to belong to the same kingdom.

No comments: