Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The Beginning of Rest


It's hard to believe that we are already 10 days into a new year. Time flies when you are having fun...or even when things are crazy! I don't know what the new year holds for you, or what you may be experiencing. Allow me to bring some encouragement.

I was sitting at my desk this morning when all of a sudden I began to smell fresh cut grass. As stated, this is the 10th day of January so there isn't any mowing going on around me. Knowing what Hebrews 5:14 says about having our senses trained for discernment, I began to ask the Lord what it could mean. The Spirit of God began sharing Psalm 23 with me. I want you to read these first few verses from the New Living Translation:
1 "The Lord is my shepherd;
I have all that I need.

2 He lets me rest in green meadows;
he leads me beside peaceful streams.

3 He renews my strength..."

While this may not seem like an earth moving revelation for some of you, it meant a great deal to me this morning. God has extended an invitation for me to lie down and enter into His abundant peace. In other words, I am to rest in Him.

While the New Year brings about great excitement for many people, it can also bring us into a place of great anxiety. A lot of it depends on what was left unresolved from the previous year. The excitement vs anxiety mindset is also dependent on how I enter into a new season. With every new season comes an opportunity to learn more about the Lord and how He wants us to operate. I can come in trying to use all the tools I used last year (be they good or bad) OR I can allow Him to teach me what is needed. This is the part of our relationship with Him that we often miss. Much like Samson, we can pick ourselves and go out before not realizing that God isn't going to work the same way he did last time.

Regardless of the environment that you find yourself in today, you also have an invitation to rest. You have the wonderful opportunity of allowing God to restore your soul, give you strength, and experiencing His incredible peace.

Some may ask: "Where do I find green meadows and still waters?" They are found in the quiet place (the place where you meet with God or He leads you to meet with Him). Do you have a quiet place? If not...allow me to encourage you to get one. Every believer needs a place and a time where they rest in His presence. David's psalm concerning the Shepherding nature of God came through his own experience out in the pastures. He was able to rest in those moments of watching after the flock. It was in those quiet places that much of the worship music of Israel was birthed, and where David earned the title "A man after God's own heart."

What can I do in the quiet place?

Read the Bible: God has given us incredible promises through His Word. However, if we are not aware of what is contained in those pages, we will not experience them.

Pray: You have an awesome privilege as a follower of Christ. You have the opportunity to daily talk with God and allow Him to talk to you.

Be still: There are times in life when we simply need to get away from everything, tell the Lord that we are going to be still and listen. There is great power in rest. Why do you think the enemy fights it so much?

Soak: Another way to experience God in the quiet place is to put on some worship music, lie down, and allow the worship of others to move your heart. Focus in on the words, the melodies, and dwell in an awareness of His presence. God is spirit and those who worship Him must worship Him in spirit and truth. Allow your spirit to connect with His.

These are just a few ideas on how to get the most out of your time with the Lord. I'm not saying that you have to have a format. In fact, I would encourage you to allow the Lord to lead you into those green meadows and beside those still waters. May you find the refreshment you need. May your soul be restored. Let this year be the beginning of rest in your life.

No comments: