Friday, June 24, 2011

Get Busy Living...


"If your memories are greater than your dreams, then you're already dying." ~ Kris Vallotton

When I initially read this quote by Kris Vallotton, I immediately thought of Andy Dufresne from the movie Shawshank Redemption: "Get busy living or get busy dying."

When we continually live in the past or with a lack of hope for the future, we have chosen to stop living the life that God has in store for us. Have you ever met someone whose best days were behind them? I'm sure that they never said it in those exact words but by their actions and excitement over the past it seems as though they have stopped progressing.

Consider this:
Are the greatest memories of your life stuck in high school?
Do you think of your marriage in terms of what it used to be?
Did you reach the pinnacle of your faith in Jesus immediately after you were saved?

The Word of God says that Christ in me is the hope of glory. Through my faith in Jesus I am continually compelled to something greater than what I have experienced. I do not have to rest in the success of the past, glory in what has already transpired, or ever consider that my best moments with God are behind me. While I may be able to look back at some awesome experiences, and remember the lessons of the past, I was made for continual revelation in the knowledge of Him. God is so infinite that there is so much more to this life than I have already experienced.

Think about how many moves of God become memorials to what God used to do. I'm a believer in the God who has more to give than what we have already experienced. The book of Acts is not meant to be just a history of the moves of God among the early church. It is meant to be an inspiration to those of us who do not live in that time...a consideration of what God could do in the church of today. I don't believe the apostles considered that we would look back and say "Oh...that God would do that today." I truly believe that Paul, Peter, and the rest believed that our story would be a continuation of what God started in the 1st century.

Let's get busy living. Let's believe that God has more in store for us than what He did in the past. Let's allow our faith to compel us to do more, be more, and experience more than what our patriarchs in the faith experienced.

I believe the words of Jesus: "Greater works than I have done..." The Holy Spirit in me allows me to walk in everything that Jesus walked in and even more. His ministry was to give us the hope of greater ministry. His life was to unlock the potential of the human race when we live in agreement with God's will. He was the forerunner of our faith: the author and finisher. Why not run with Him? Why not believe that God can do more. Allow your dreams to be fueled by God's purpose and plan. GET BUSY LIVING!!!

Here's to seeing God do more in and through you than what you could have ever dreamed, asked, or thought. He is able!!!

No comments: