Thursday, June 30, 2011

A Culture of Honor at Home


There is nothing quite as fascinating to a child as what can be created with LEGOs. Whatever you can imagine is possible: Vehicles, Building, and even Animals. While the dynamics are quite different, the same can be said of the home. Whatever you imagine is possible...but...you better have a plan.

I have been doing a lot of thinking (and reading) about what it takes to create a "culture of honor" within the church. Then it dawned on me...this can happen in the home! With the right attitude, proper authority within the home, and a little imagination - it's possible.

Matthew 20:25-36, "But Jesus called them to Himself and said, 'You know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and those who are great exercise authority over them. Yet it shall not be so among you; but whoever desires to become great among you, let him be your servant.'"

Is there anyone reading this blog that doesn't want to be great? I mean...at least in one area of life...right? I want to be a great parent. I want my kids to look back on their lives at home and consider those days as some of the best ever. I want them to experience love, peace, and encouragement. With that being said, the only question I have to ask is how to make it happen. The answer I continue to receive is the one most of us don't want to hear: servanthood.

How can I best serve my family?
How can I best serve my wife?
How can I best serve the needs of my kids?
It's the answer to these questions that will allow me to move into greatness.

I have no doubt that some people would read this and say that I have the wrong approach. Most of us have been raised to believe that parents are the lords of the home. While I don't disagree with our lordship - I would disagree with our understanding of it. Jesus taught us that Lordship in a culture of honor takes on a new dynamic. The Lord doesn't mind putting a towel around His waist and washing the feet of His followers. With that view in mind: Can we put aside our "Rights" as parents and spouses to better serve the needs of our family?

These are hard questions. For many of us, just asking them is enough to cause our heads to spin. But just as God created Adam & Eve, provided for their needs, and then gave them some instruction on how to live life; we need to do the same. Are we willing to walk with our families and teach them how to get the most out of this life? Can we sit back and allow them to make mistakes? And when those mistakes are made, do we have enough grace to cover them? This is exactly the way God chose to respond to His creation. Will we do the same?

A culture of honor creates an environment that sustains life. Within this culture those with power learn how to empower those around them. The greatest qualities of this environment are grace, hope, and love. Grace is given to every person every day, Hope is instilled into the lives of every family member, and Love dominates every aspect of family life. Is this possible? Absolutely!!! As long as each of us are willing to submit our families to the Lordship of Jesus Christ.

Here's what I have discovered: Some of the best LEGO creations (that I have built) had a design to follow. The same is true of the house that I am building with my wife, family, and kids. God gives the design. I just have to follow His heart to create a culture of honor at home.

No comments: