Wednesday, April 6, 2011

True Humility


"Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus, who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a servant, and coming in the likeness of men. And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled Himself and became obedient tot he point of death, even the death of the cross." {Philippians 2:5-8}

I came across this quote while reading "The Supernatural Ways of Royalty" by Kris Vallotton & Bill Johnson:
"Religion rubs our noses in the past to keep us humble. Reviewing the sinfulness of our past in order to become humble is a perversion. It actually creates shame; and shame is a poor counterfeit of humility. Shame is the fruit of humiliation that works against the truth. To maintain consciousness of our sinful past to help us become more humble is the cruelty of a religious spirit; it requires us to keep something in mind that isn't in God's. In reality, it is much more humbling to live in the liberty of unearned forgiveness. When we are forgiven, the King gives us permission to live as though we had never sinned." ~ Bill Johnson

Listen again to Paul's words to the church in Philippi: "Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus..." Can any of us really fathom the humility of Jesus? I want you to consider what God's Word teaches us about His coming. For the purpose of redemption Jesus humbled Himself. Paul refers to it as the emptying of Himself. Jesus left His divinity to be made in the likeness of man. He literally became one of us! The God who never sleeps or slumbers took on a frame that gets tired. Although He was limitless and could operate outside of time - He took on a body that brought limits and had a deadline. One who was All-Powerful became one who had to rely upon the power of God at work in and around Him. Jesus was able to be tempted, able to experience pain and suffering, able to grow in grace and knowledge. And He did this with full understanding of what He would leave behind.

True humility does not forget who we are - it's the ability to remove ourselves from the equation. Some have considered that humility is all about debasing ourselves. I would disagree. True humility allows others to be exalted. True humility operates in full knowledge of who we are yet we esteem others better than ourselves. That is what Jesus did. Although He was the Creator, he took on the form of the created. Although He was Master and Lord, He chose to wash the disciples feet. And although He was sinless, He became sin for us so that we could be made the righteousness of God in Christ!

The Bill Johnson quote that I placed above is part of an entire section discussing the path to humility. Anything that causes us to focus on our past apart from the blood of Christ actually brings about bondage. We will always struggle in the freedom that God gives as long as we consider who we used to be. Folks, failures we have repented of are no longer the standard that we must bow to. God's Word tells us that we are a "New Creation" and in that newness "old things have passed away." True humility always takes into account the grace of God. The blood of Christ is the reason for my boasting. I realize that I could not be where I am today if it wasn't for the atonement. Jesus has set me free - made me new - and counted me worthy. When I live as a forgiven child of God, I bring glory and honor to the one who redeemed me.

The reason Jesus could endure such suffering as a man, overcome every temptation, and give His life as a ransom is simple: He knew who He was, why He came, and the power at work in Him. You and I will be able to endure anything this life throws at us, overcome every temptation, and give our lives for the glory of God when we being to operate in this same mindset. The suffering of this world isn't even worthy to be considered when you know your inheritance. When you understand that you are better than the temptation the enemy throws at you and realize that through God's grace you can have dominion over sin - you will never give in. And as a child of God you will never struggle emptying yourself for the glory of God but will join Jesus in saying "Not my will but Yours be done."

I want to encourage you. Some of you may think it is arrogant to talk about who you are in Christ. Maybe there is something that tugs against this type of thinking. That is the spirit of religion trying to keep you bound to your past. If you know Jesus then God has released you from your past. You are not bound to it anymore. Learn to confess who you are in Christ and you will feel those chains being broke off of your life. I truly believe that one of the greatest expressions of praise is confessing who you are in Jesus. It brings glory and honor to the God of redemption. Why not start today?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well written. That is the balance I referred to.... knowing our identity without focusing on self. For me, it is hard to do sometimes and I can quite easily become so focused on who I am that I forget to take myself out of the equation... and then it becomes about ME. If I struggle with that, perhaps others do, too.
My position with him has nothing to do what what I have done. Remembering, not my sin, but the simple fact that it is HIS grace and HIS sacrifice reminds me of my position. I can't do anything. He can do everything. He decided my worth and loved me. While I am confident in those things, I am also mindful of my ability to become prideful. In the past I have operated in the "faith movement" and "claiming" healing and so on quickly made the switch in my mind to self. I still believe in those things, but my expression of faith has become about Him, realizing his prerogative as God to do as He wishes. Not all are healed (and I don't think it is always lack of faith), but all who are His and desire to be totally submit are utilized at capacity for His will.

Neal Hawks said...

Thank you for your input once again. I try to maintain the balance in what I write, however I do realize that it may not always be communicated.
I appreciate you reading the blog and your thoughts.
Blessings!!!