Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Celebrating the Goodness of God


This past Sunday we celebrated the Resurrection of Jesus Christ. The PBC Family (as well as other churches) saw great increases in attendance. We had 300 people who came out to hear the preaching of the Gospel. The question for many in attendance is: What happens next?

It makes sense to me that people tend to come out in record numbers to attend a church service on Resurrection Sunday (aka Easter). While many of those numbers do not reflect a personal knowledge of Jesus, they do reflect a large number of people who want to believe. The main issue, in my opinion, is trust. Do we trust that faith in God is all that it is the answer? Do we trust that God is good all the time? Do we trust that faith alone in Jesus is enough?

What we celebrate each and every Sunday is the death and resurrection of Jesus. While it may not be the main theme of our gathering (as it is on Easter), we understand that the reason we can celebrate is because our sins have been forgiven, our lives have been made new, and God is good.

The death of Jesus marked the end of striving under the law. While the law in and of itself was good, man could never keep it. We were always falling short. Our struggle was no different than that of Adam & Eve's, we simply did not believe that we were made in the image of God and that He had provided all that we could want or need. The law was never meant to condemn us (religious leaders did that), it was meant to give us a blueprint of a life that is blessed. However, our unbelief kept us from seeing God's way as best, and God's heart as good.

For those 300 people that joined us this Resurrection Sunday, they have a decision to make. Will they continue to go through life as usual, or will they trust what I shared about God's love for them? Will they believe that Jesus' death was enough to bring forgiveness and His resurrection enough to bring justification? Will they actually believe that God has reconciled Himself to them? I know it sounds to good to be true, but I want you to read Romans 2:4, "...the goodness of God leads you to repentance".

I want you to consider that it is God's goodness, not His judgement, that actually brings people to saving faith in Christ. I had an encounter with my son not so long ago that taught me a very special lesson. He had been acting out in a way that I didn't believe reflected the nature of our family. He knows the "rules" and he had decided to behave outside of them. As I thought about how I could handle this problem, I decided to go the corporal punishment route. To be quite honest with you...I haven't spanked my kids in quite a while. We have been trying to give choices, demonstrate the love and grace of God, etc. I just simply thought it was time to use a different method. Did I alter his behavior? ABSOLUTELY!!! For about an hour we didn't have anymore problems. Why didn't his behavior change for good? His behavior didn't change because I didn't do anything to affect his heart.

I'm not saying that there isn't a time for spanking. What I was dealing with was a heart issue rather than a rebellion issue. What God did in the flood was to punish all of mankind for their sin. It wasn't long after the earth had finally dried up that man went back to their sinful ways. This is the reason for the cross. God chose to sacrifice His Son for the good of man. We have been forgiven, eternal life is ours once again, and the Holy Spirit is given to all who believe. God has affected the heart. His GRACE has saved us, and His GOODNESS has provided an abundant life that provides everything we need.

In Ezekiel 11:19-20, we read about God's plan for restoring Israel: "Then I will give them one heart, and I will put a new spirit within them, and take the stony heart out of their flesh, and give them a heart of flesh, that they may walk in My statues and keep My judgments and do them; and they shall be My people, and I will be their God." This is the goodness of God. Ezekiel's prophecy wasn't much different than Jeremiah's (Jeremiah 31:33): "But this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the Lord: I will put My law into their minds, and write it on their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people." This statement was followed by an even greater one "Their sins and their lawless deeds I will remember no more" (Jeremiah 31:34).

I pray that you will come into this wonderful understanding. God IS Good!!!

No comments: