Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Counting it All JOY...


Do you ever feel like the guy in the Dunkin' Donuts commercial? You know...there's so much to do that it's like you are running all over yourself to keep up? "It's time to make the donuts."

I was busy enough last week that I had to ask the question: To blog or not to blog? This week started off with a couple of days in Richmond at the Executive Board Meeting for the SBCV. We were making some final preparations for the Annual Homecoming. I do enjoy hearing about the things that are going on in our state. However, we come back home in a dead sprint to keep up with all the things that were neglected.

It would be great to have a quarter for every time I heard someone say "I need a vacation to get over my vacation." It seems as though even when we take time away that we are so used to being busy that we have forgotten to enjoy what we get to do.

I'm not complaining...honest! Our kids are active because they are healthy. The upkeep around the house is here because I am blessed. I'm behind on my work because I have a job. For every complaint that I could have, there is a blessing behind it. Even the difficult times are a reason to give thanks and rejoice in the Lord. James teaches us to "...count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing." (James 1:2-4). It may be hard to believe but the trials of life produce good things in us if we handle them correctly.

I don't like to complain. Number 1...it's not very attractive. Number 2...nobody wants to hear it. Number 3...complaining never takes into account the work of God in my life. My life isn't perfect but God is. I go through stress, difficulties, and fatigue but my life is full. This isn't living life wearing rose colored glasses - it's simply the way that I have chosen to live. It is life with the knowledge that "all things work together for good to those who love God and are the called according to His purpose."

God always gives me strength.
God always provides me with His ability.
God is always present in my life.
God always gives peace.
God is always at work.

There is not one thing in my life that God says "I will be waiting for you on the other side." According to the psalmist "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death...You are with me." What a joy to know that I am never alone. What joy in knowing that everything that I need for life and godliness is already mine in Jesus Christ!

I know you are stressed. I know that there never seems to be enough time in the day. I know that you it doesn't seem possible to do all the things you want to do. But I want you to take heart. Regardless of what you are going through, or how you feel, I want you to count it all joy. Learn to be thankful even through the hard stuff. Believe and trust that God is not forsaking you.

We have some friends whose son is laying in a hospital fighting leukemia. When I consider what they are dealing with on a daily basis, it puts my life into a greater perspective. Every time I think that I don't have enough, I'm reminded of how so many of our brothers and sisters in Christ are living around the world. Things in my life could be much harder. So I'm learning... I'm learning to count it all joy. Even in the trials I'm trying to see the end result rather than the present reality. I'm also understanding that in the midst of it all, God is GOOD!

I pray that God will give you an attitude of gratitude. Be thankful for all that you have. Be joyful. May you learn to "be anxious for nothing". In all things you can pray - with thanksgiving - and God will grant you peace. Count it all joy my friend.

No comments: