Thursday, June 20, 2013

Beliefs = Behavior = _______________

James speaks the truth when he says, "...faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead" (James 2:17). The point he makes is very simple: What you believe should determine how you behave and how you behavior will produce something.

There have been many different writers to address this type of subject. Many of whom are much better equipped than I am to address the topic. Whether they are worldly philosophers, clinical psychologists, or Christian counselors - these men and women have come to the same conclusion: What you believe determines how you behave.

This is a fact of life that all of us need to grasp. Far too long we have focused on behavior modification. In other words, if we could just keep people from doing ____________ then we can stop ___________ from happening. The reality that so many are finally coming to understand is that I can't keep people from doing certain things unless I can first help them change their minds about it.

I'll give you a for instance:
Romans 6:23 tells us that the wages of sin is death. There's no gray area in that statement. However, if we view sin as the "fun thing that God won't let us do" rather than something that produces death in our lives then we will remain tied to it. The way most people handle the area of sin is to create accountability in their lives. You know...if I'm accountable to someone then I will be less likely to do it. The problem is that for the majority of people this approach in and of itself does not work.

So what needs to happen?
The answer is quite simple: We have to change the way we think.

That's why what James has to say about faith is important. If I say I have faith then that faith should produce something. There should be an abiding reality of what I believe manifest in how I behave. I don't have to work for it because it will be the bi-product of my life. This is true in every area. Well...every area where I have faith.

You see, what we believe is normally tied to the truth or to a lie. You have probably heard me say this before but it is so vital. If I am believing the truth about myself in Christ then that is what will be produced in my life. On the other hand, if I'm constantly believing the lies that the enemy or anyone else has spoken over me then that is what I will continually see fleshed out in my life. I see it in church life all the time. I have seen people shrink away from the presence of God because they have not allowed the truth of what God says affect how they behave. They continually see themselves as small, undeserving, or unworthy of God's goodness. The problem with that mindset is that I don't see it supported in Scripture. Some people quote John the Baptist and think that it is proper for today ("I must decrease but you must increase") but they fail to see the significance of what John was saying. It was just the realization that it was time for Jesus to take the stage. John had fulfilled his mission and the Lord no longer need a forerunner.

I don't believe for one minute that God wants less of you. I believe He wants all of you. He wants all of what you were created to become. He had less of you before you were saved. It's time for you to step to the front and allow the reality of Jesus to be manifest in your life.

How do I change what I believe so that I can see a different type of behavior?
You need to believe in the promises of God for you life.

The Bible is full of spiritual realities that you need to allow to take up residence in your heart. You need to see yourself in Christ. Not a "sinner saved by grace" but a child of the living God. And when you learn how to live as a much loved child of God, the behavior that comes out of that mindset will produce some amazing results. Not only will you see amazing results in your personal life but you will see amazing results in the atmosphere you create, the relationships around you, and the people you encounter on a daily basis.

Beliefs determine behavior which determines results.
Just make sure that what you believe is dictated by the truths of Scripture. Allow what you do to be determined by what you believe. And be in awe of all that God does in and through your life. It truly is an amazing journey. I have watched as God has transformed addicts, people who have been abused, and those who were shackled by religion. All of them transformed by this one simple act: The Renewal of Their Minds.

Romans 12:2, "Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect." [NLT]

No comments: