Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Go...and Sin No More!!!

Hebrews 4:15, "For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin."

A few years ago, a campaign was started to reach out to people struggling through various issues. I am Second is a movement meant to inspire people of all kinds to live for God and for others. Actors. Athletes. Musicians. Business leaders. Drug addicts. Your next-door neighbor. People like you. The authentic stories on iamsecond.com provide insight into dealing with typical struggles of everyday living.


I want you to consider the phrase in bold up above: "People like you." Have you ever considered that an actor, an athlete, a musician, a business leader, or a drug addict is just like you? What about a pastor? Of course, I can't speak for everyone out there but...
Like you - I struggle at times.
Like you - I need forgiveness.
Like you - I rely on strength from others.
Like you - I need affirmation.
Like you - I stand in the grace of God.
Like you - I marvel at the love of God.
And just like you - I need Jesus.

Hebrews 4:15 has always been a special verse for me. Words cannot express how grateful that I am to know that Jesus is able to sympathize with my weaknesses. He was tempted in every respect just like me. Of course, He was without sin but He never brings it up. Instead...I have found Him to be so faithful to forgive, faithful to encourage, and faithful to strengthen me.

I want you to consider how wonderful it is to know that Jesus took on flesh, took on temptation, took on sin and won. I want you to consider that He who was fully God yet fully man is now seated at the right hand of God. I want you to consider that you have a high priest who doesn't leave you to your weaknesses. He doesn't walk away because you fail. He doesn't condemn you because you struggle. He's there to help.

What is true about Jesus should be true about His Body. We need to be grace givers rather than stone throwers. We need to be able to look past the character defects of people around us and call out their true identity in Christ. We need to be able to tell the person who was caught in the act of adultery - "Neither do I condemn you. Go and sin no more."

Have you ever considered the power that Jesus released in that woman's life? Think about it:
"He who is without sin cast the first stone..." - Everyone walks away.
"Where are those who would condemn you?" - There are none.
"Neither do I condemn you..." - Jesus' response.
"Go and sin no more." - This is the most powerful line.
While many people find it amazing that Jesus doesn't condemn, I find it amazing that He refused to allow her to live in shame. Shame is such a powerful tool in the hands of the enemy. Jesus could have said something about her sin could He not? I mean...He's got her all to Himself. He could have spent some time dealing with the reason why she was brought before Him. He didn't. He let her go. But more than that, He released her to live in grace.

I realize that today's blog is a little choppy. I can't really explain why but to say that my mind is swirling with the thoughts of Jesus as my High Priest continually saying "Go and sin no more." Every time I go to Him for mercy. Every time I ask Him for grace. Every time I have failed and choose to approach His throne. And every time I come before Him before I make a mistake. He's there...He understands...and He says "Go and sin no more."

If you are going to get caught up in anything today get caught up in His grace. It is always available.

No comments: