Tuesday, February 26, 2013

A Community of "One Anothers"

I believe that God has designed our lives in such a way that we need community - we need one another. God declared in His creation that it is not good for man to be alone. He wanted humanity to enjoy the same quality of life that He experiences in the Godhead. Whether or not we enjoy this kind of community is up to us. We must ask ourselves this question: What am I willing to sow into the lives of others?

The New Testament gives us plenty of things to consider when it comes to community life. It's the "one anothers" of Scripture that allow us to express the nature of Christ in the lives of those around us:
…Be at peace with each other.” (Mark 9:50)
…Wash one another’s feet.” (John 13:14)
…Love one another…” (John 13:34 & 35, John 15:12 & 17, Romans 13:8, I John 3:11 & 23, 4:17, 11, & 12, 2 John 5)
Be devoted to one another in brotherly love…” (Romans 12:10)
…Honor one another above yourselves." (Romans 12:10)
Live in harmony with one another…” (Romans 12:16)
…Stop passing judgment on one another.” (Romans 14:13)
Accept one another, then, just as Christ accepted you…” (Romans 15:7)
…Instruct one another.” (Romans 15:14)
Greet one another with a holy kiss…” (Romans 16:16, 1 Corinthians 16:20, 2 Corinthians 13:12)
…When you come together to eat, wait for each other.” (I Cor. 11:33)
…Have equal concern for each other.” (I Corinthians 12:25)
…Serve one another in love.” (Galatians 5:13)
Carry each other’s burdens…” (Galatians 6:2)
…Be patient, bearing with one another in love.” (Ephesians 4:2)
"Be kind and compassionate to one another…” (Ephesians 4:32)
…Forgiving each other…” (Ephesians 4:32)
Speak to one another with psalms, hymns and spiritual songs.” (Ephesians 5:19)
Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ.” (Ephesians 5:21)
…In humility consider others better than yourselves.” (Philippians 2:3)
Do not lie to each other…” (Colossians 3:9)
Bear with each other…” (Colossians 3:13)
…Forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another.” (Colossians 3:13)
Teach…[one another]” (Colossians 3:16)
…Admonish one another" (Colossians 3:16)
…Make your love increase and overflow for each other.” (I Thessalonians 3:12)
"…Love each other.” (I Thessalonians 4:9)
…Encourage each other…”(I Thessalonians 4:18, 5:11, & Hebrews 10:25)
…Build each other up…” (I Thessalonians 5:11)
Encourage one another daily…” Hebrews 3:13)
…Spur one another on toward love and good deeds.” (Hebrews 10:24)
…Do not slander one another.” (James 4:11)
Don’t grumble against each other…” (James 5:9)
"Confess your sins to each other…” (James 5:16)
…Pray for each other.” (James 5:16)
…Love one another deeply, from the heart.” (I Peter 3:8)
…Live in harmony with one another…” (I Peter 3:8)
…Love each other deeply…” (I Peter 4:8)
Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling.” (I Peter 4:9)
Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others…” (I Peter 4:10)
…Clothe yourselves with humility toward one another…”(I Peter 5:5)
Greet one another with a kiss of love.” (I Peter 5:14)

As you can see, God's Word has a lot to say about the quality of life that should be found within the Body of Christ. What I'm discovering is that the more I'm concerned about what I sow into the lives of others, the less concerned I am about myself. This reality of the "one anothers" will also keep the church from becoming self-serving.

Let me make this a little more personal. In all my years of ministry I have only encountered a small number of people who asked this question before joining a particular church: "Where am I needed the most?" These people were not looking for a position or a title. They simply wanted to see where they could best use their gifts, provide encouragement, and help build up the body of believers. Most people they are told to look for the church that best meets their needs. The problem with this mindset is that we begin with the idea of what works for us rather than what we can bring to the Body.

I'm praying that in the days ahead that the church (the Body of Christ) will recapture the selflessness that we read about in the New Testament. That...once again...we will discover the joy of investing in community, building one another up in the Lord, and expressing the nature of Christ. Let's do this!!!

No comments: