Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Loves Perfect Work


"By this we know love, because He laid down His life for us. And we also ought to lay down our lives for the brethren." (1 John 3:16)

I have always enjoyed the parallel between John 3:16 & 1 John 3:16. Both verses speak of the love of God and the laying down of one's life. What you need to notice is the transfer! In John 3:16 we see that God loved the world and He gave. 1 John 3:16 speaks of the same truth but the love of God has been transferred to us and we ought to lay down our lives. What a HUGE responsibility!

God's Word teaches us that His love ought to be perfected in us. One of the ways that we know His love has been perfected is that it casts out fear. There is no fear in love. Another test (if you will) of the love of God being perfected in us is that we have love for our brothers and sisters in Christ. And the ultimate demonstration of that love is that we are willing to lay down our lives. Don't automatically assume that means you have to physically die. You may just need to die to yourself for this to be accomplished.

Do you want to know where the greatest testing ground for this type of love is found? It is found in your marriage! Nowhere on earth are we "tested" any greater than in our relationship with our spouse. The commitment of marriage is a continual laying down of ourselves. We must lay aside our selfish ambitions for the good of the other. Ego, pride, and even self-fulfillment has to be placed upon a cross, nailed to it, and pronounced dead. Ask yourself this question: Have I ever said, "Not my will but Yours be done" in regards to your marriage? Ever had to sacrifice yourself?

I'm beginning to understand some great truths in marriage and my relationship with God. There is no greater arena for me to "flesh out" my faith than in how I relate to my wife. I can go to church, preach God's Word, and love my church family. However, if I can't live out my faith with my family, what good is my devotion in these other areas? Can I truly say that I love God if I cannot love my wife? Can I say that I'm willing to die for my faith if I can't die to myself in marriage? This is where we fail to make the connection with our faith and our marriage.

The original "church" began in the Garden. Adam and Eve communed with God. Husband and wife sat at the feet of Jesus and had fellowship with Him. There was no need for sacrifice because sin had not entered the world. But as soon as Adam and Eve transgressed the law of God - immediately there was a need for sacrifice. At first Adam was willing to throw his wife "under the bus." "The woman you gave me..." was Adam's response to God. What if Adam would have said, "It was my fault"? Is this not the same fight we have today? Who among us is willing to say that we are willing to take the blame for the problems in our relationship?

If it is your desire to get closer to God, the best place to start is in the home. Learn to see your spouse through the eyes of God. Learn to love your spouse in the same way that Christ loved the church. Allow loves perfect work to be completed in your marriage. I promise that you will find yourself growing closer to the heart of the Father.

Are you willing to lay down your life for your spouse? Can you die to yourself in your marriage? This is how all men will know that you are His disciple. It's time to allow our homes to be the greatest testimony of our faith. No longer will we view time spent at church, positions of leadership, or even great sacrifices of faith to be seen as the evidence of what we believe. No my friends, the home is where it's at. Can we offer the same mercy and grace to one another that we are willing to offer others? Are we as quick to forgive our husband/wife as we would someone at church? Will we make restitution as needed? I'm curious as to how many husbands/wives have come to offer their gifts on the altar before making things right with their spouse. Should we not leave our gift and FIRST make things right in the home? Yes...yes we should.

Learn to apply your faith at home. Our unwillingness to walk in what we believe in our marriage is the greatest hypocrisy found in the church today. May we be found faithful even in the little things. May love have its perfect work!

No comments: